Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-18-2005, 02:31 PM

Default Can checking behind on the river hurt your image?

I'm not sure how to word this, so I'll just keep it really simple. Do you think that checking behind on the river with a pretty big hand (ie- 2 pair, a set in fear of a full house, a set in fear of a flush, etc.) exhibits weakness, and thus gives you a tighter image? I'll elaborate if people don't understand the point of my question, but otherwise I'd be interested in the responses b/c I've been considering this for a while.
Old 07-18-2005, 02:42 PM

Default Re: Can checking behind on the river hurt your image?

first of all, online image doesn't matter as much due to the quick turnover on tables. However, I think checking behind doesn't hurt your image..checking is a good play if you have a hand that might be good, but would hate to be raised.

On earlier streets, checking a decent but not great hand is also not bad because you want your opponents to know that you don't always bet when checked to, and just because you check, doesn't mean you don't have a hand. It tends to keep them a little more straightforward against you, and a little more unsure about where they stand against you. Obviously this isn't a play to use all the time.
Old 07-18-2005, 02:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
first of all, online image doesn't matter as much due to the quick turnover on tables. However, I think checking behind doesn't hurt your image..checking is a good play if you have a hand that might be good, but would hate to be raised.

[/ QUOTE ]

I disagree that online image doesn't matter; it's probably the most important part of killing the tables. I understand the reasoning behind checking behind, but what I'd like to know is why you don't think it hurts your image (as you said)?
Old 07-18-2005, 03:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I disagree that online image doesn't matter; it's probably the most important part of killing the tables. I understand the reasoning behind checking behind, but what I'd like to know is why you don't think it hurts your image (as you said)?

[/ QUOTE ]

Why would it hurt your image? You have a decent hand, a scary board, and you want to see the showdown and can do it for free. Do you think less of someone who doesn't bet top pair when a third flush card hits the river against a guy that's been check calling every street? I don't. And I think you are mistaken if you think image is the most important thing at an online table. They turn over way too quickly generally for it to be that important. Solid play is much more important. Why would I make an advertising play at 6max when I know that in 5 minutes there will probably be 3 new people at that table.
Old 07-18-2005, 03:39 PM

"Why would it hurt your image? You have a decent hand, a scary board, and you want to see the showdown and can do it for free. Do you think less of someone who doesn't bet top pair when a third flush card hits the river against a guy that's been check calling every street? I don't."

When someone checks behind in these situations, I always make a note of it. This shows (though sort of a generalization) that he is a thinking player who is concerned about getting pushed out of the pot. From this I can conclude that a)I might be able to push him around later in the session, b)he's probably a tighter player and c)he most likely doesn't bluff. This analysis is just my first assumptions when i see this; they obviously change after viewing more hands. If people view me as a LAG, I'd rather them be under the false assumption that I'm an idiot than realize that I'm actually thinking before each of my actions.

[ QUOTE ]

And I think you are mistaken if you think image is the most important thing at an online table. They turn over way too quickly generally for it to be that important. Solid play is much more important. Why would I make an advertising play at 6max when I know that in 5 minutes there will probably be 3 new people at that table.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think that you're misinterpreting me. I'm not advocating for you to make an idiotic play for the purpose of image; I think a player who often value bets in these situations is harder to read. Furthermore, you exaggerate how quickly the tables break up and underrate the importance of image.

Maybe my question is too vague...perhaps I'll play a hand later that exemplifies what I've been considering.
Old 07-18-2005, 07:21 PM

Default stupid question?

is this something that i shouldn't even be considering?