Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-25-2005, 03:46 AM

Default AQ in SB against MP raiser, K on the turn

Partypoker 2/4 Hold'em (10 handed)

Preflop: Hero is SB with AQo
3 fold, MP1 raises, all fold, Hero calls, BB folds.

Reads on MP1, tight but not very aggressive (1.8AF PF)

Flop: (2.50 BB) 4, T, 8 raibow
Hero checks, MP1 bets, Hero check-raises, MP1 calls.

Turn: K......

What is your plan and why?
Old 12-25-2005, 03:49 AM

Default Re: AQ in SB against MP raiser, K on the turn

Anyone else 3bet this preflop?

Given the action and the way the hand has played out, I lead this turn and fold if raised. If he just calls my turn bet, I fire again on the river.
Old 12-25-2005, 04:06 AM

I 3bet this preflop sometimes but for that hand, my plan was to call pf and cr any flop without K. Anyway, that's another topic.

The problem with lead the turn and fold if raise is that you are giving up the nut str8 draw and you are very likely have more outs than that. MP1 has to hold AA/KK/AK/TT for you to only have only 4 outs.
Old 12-25-2005, 03:24 PM

I think if you 3-bet this pf it makes the hand much easier to play.

I'm curious about your line though, what's the idea behind it? You think he has AK or a lower pair most of the time and you can get him to lay down if he doesn't improve or puts you on a higher pair?

Also, this is easier to answer if I know how much this guy raises pf, it's tough to put him on a range without it. If he can fold I'll probably fire the turn here and if called and I don't improve I c/f the river.
Old 12-25-2005, 07:57 PM

Yes, I want him to fold AK/AQ and maybe 99 to my cr on flop and turn bet. If I 3-bet pf, he's never going to fold AK UI which is the worst thing that could happen.
Old 12-25-2005, 08:17 PM

I think in this situation in most small stakes games a guy with this kind of aggression is almost never folding 99 to a flop c/r.

Why is this guy never folding AK after you 3-bet? I don't get it. I think that range is very very narrow as well.

This question is easier to answer though if we can put villain on a range, without knowing more about him I really can't do that. There are a few hands an avg TAG would open with in MP1 that you're ahead of here, and a lot of other hands that you have a bunch of outs against.

Also keep in mind by just calling in the SB you are giving BB odds to call with a ton of stuff. That's one big reason I don't like this play, this whole idea really seems way too fancy for your average small stakes game.