Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-17-2005, 10:09 PM

Default good or bad decision - Palms $230 tourney

blinds are 25-50.
I've got a stack of 1850 after a rebuy, so I'm actually down $250 at this point; villain has a similar stack.

I limp with 88 UTG, the player three seats to my right raises it to $240, and it's folded around to me.

In the hour or so we've been playing, I have the villain pegged as a pretty solid player who is capable of some moves, and also capable of making a big laydown. I decide to represent an AA limp-reraise and make it $600 to go.

After a long deliberation, he calls.

The flop come 257 rainbow.

I've got $1200 left...because I've put the villain on two big broadway cards, I feel that if I push, it may lead him to suspect I have the same - and I don't want that, obviously. So I continue with my play of representing AA and bet $800 into the $1325 pot...

He deliberates a long time and folds.

I obviously made the right read and play at the right time. I made a read and acted on my instincts, and it worked out - but my main question is, was it really worth it to risk my whole tournament on a play like this so early?

I'm going back and forth on this one, trying to figure out if I made the proper tournament decision or if I made a stupid move and got lucky.

What do you think?
Old 06-17-2005, 11:49 PM

Default Re: good or bad decision - Palms $230 tourney

I think it's a good decision. If you have a strong read on somebody that is real information that you should put to use at your advantage. Nice hand.
Old 06-18-2005, 12:21 AM

Default Re: good or bad decision - Palms $230 tourney

how big was his stack?