Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-04-2005, 02:35 PM

Default Using the buddy list... questions

Im a pretty experienced online player, but I dont use buddy list all that much. I rely much more on Pokertracker and average pot size for table selection.

While buddy lists are occasionally helpful for tracking down idiot players who are sitting at a less-than-full table, I usually find my buddies at full tables with waiting lists. More often than not, by the time I get on, they are gone or close to busted. So what's the point?

Increasingly, players seem to be clicking the "hide me from search" box. If I determine that a player is doing this, is there any meaningful reason to keep that person on the buddy list? Or should I just delete them and keep a player note on them in case I happen to sit down at the table with them?

TIA.
Old 01-04-2005, 02:42 PM

Default Re: Using the buddy list... questions

Sounds like you need more buddies. I am constantly following players around.
Old 01-04-2005, 02:49 PM

Well admittedly, this may be a chicken/egg problem. I am terrible about adding people to buddy list, because I find it so useless. So the buddy list is only 30-40 names.

I am also extremely selective in deciding who is a buddy. Unlike many, I dont list LP-P players as buddies. I much prefer the LA-A or sLA-A players, the real chip spewers.

While those guys add variance to your results, they also can make for some really juicy games, and without exception, they all play horribly.
Old 01-04-2005, 02:53 PM

Anyone over 50% vpip after 80 hands goes on my list.
Old 01-04-2005, 03:13 PM

is there any way to determine if the players on your buddy list have been active? probably not.

my list is getting pretty long and im sure a lot of them never even log on any more. im being somewhat anal and somewhat practical in wanting to clean it up. any suggestions or should i just live w/ it?
Old 01-04-2005, 03:26 PM

I just live with it. Eventually I just figure that certain people aren't coming back so I delete them. There's no way to tell how long ago they last logged on though, unfortunately.
Old 01-04-2005, 03:56 PM

My main aggravation is tht the names seem to appear on there in an almost random order. Is there not any way to sort either alphabetically or by date added?
Old 01-04-2005, 03:59 PM

I have never used the buddy list but it is on my list of "goals" to help improve my play over the next year.

1. How do you get the names from Poker Tracker to your Buddy list.
2. I like the +50 VPIP over 80 hands idea. I assume you just set up a filter in PT to identify these characters?
3. Has anyone approached Pat from PT about an idea to have PT automatically export names to your Buddy list?
4. Has anyone approached Party, Empire, etc. about showing information on the buddy list such as last date logged in, etc.? I know playing the loto would be just as effective but you never know.
5. Do you also have a way of telling if you've already included someone in your buddy list or do you have to keep doing this over and over "Oh yeah...I've already got this guy in here"
Old 01-04-2005, 06:30 PM

At first I added those with high VP$IP that seemed to be spilling a lot of chips. I have recently changed my approach to high VP$IP, low W$SD and having won a bit recently. The way I see it their confidence is high, but skill level is low. With luck they've just been getting good cards and are ready to pay out. Kinda like a slot machine. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 01-07-2005, 09:35 PM

On Party, do you have to search for each buddy individually? Is there a way to see who from your list is on all at once? Will Party notify you who is there automatically? -TomBk