Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-09-2005, 09:32 PM

Default Keeping your head in the game

Hello -
Quick question for you guys... I have been having a rough couple of weeks with my poker and I just can't seem to get out of this slump. On one hand, I am still somewhat upbeat because a majority of my losses have come on hands that I did play correctly but lost to some pretty crazy draws(don't worry - I'm not going to complain or regail you with my bad beat stories). Anyway, that being said, it still is getting to me and shaking my confidence a little bit. How do you guys stay mentally focused on your game when you are going through a losing spell? I've gone back and reviewed some of my hands, I have taken a break, I have gone down in limits....but I can't quite shake it. Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Old 06-09-2005, 10:07 PM

Default Re: Keeping your head in the game

wish i could help u bud, i am having an extremely rough time myself and getting outdrawn on the same type of draws has affected my play i am not value betting as much on the river in loose games as i normally do. Best thing to do i think would be to take a break but in my case i am too hard headed and love poker too much to stay away. One thing i am doing more of on my down streak is playing more tournaments to keep my poker appetite under control i booked 2nd place in 2 events back to back a few days ago maybe u should try that. Also take a gander at my post about switchin to party let me know what u tihnk
Old 06-10-2005, 04:39 AM

Have a break, read more.

Play in only very good games where you have a significant edge.
Old 06-10-2005, 04:46 PM

Every time I suffer a 'bad beat' I replay the hand in PokerTracker, to see if I should have played it differently.
If I'm happy that I played the hand correctly, I try to imagine playing that hand a thousand times.
I think of all the times I WON'T be drawn out on.
I think of all the money I'll make.
Mmmmm, lovely.

I have to admit, I'm running red hot at the moment, hitting flush after flush etc, but that didn't stop some guy drawing out on me this morning. A the turn, I had A's and Q's, he had A's and 8's. River was an 8. He took down quite a nice pot. But I know that if I get into that position lots of times, I'm going to make a tidy profit, 'cos only occasionally will he hit one of his two outs.
Old 06-10-2005, 04:47 PM

I meant to say "At the turn ..."
Old 06-10-2005, 08:31 PM

I feel like a streak of bad cards just has to run it's course. Recognizing this, I drop down in limit to $2-4 so I can't get hurt too much. I actually try getting a little more aggressive preflop on marginal cards, situation permitting, in order to build a good table image. This includes defending marginal blinds so I don't look like I can be pushed around. Once established, I can do some stealing. You have to be very observant of the other players at the table to know who to go up against. Just remember to release a hand that doesn't pan out when you encounter resistence, and not to steal too much or they'll catch on. If you're not getting cards, you need to steal a pot or two to slow down your rate of loss and play thru the bad streak.

Another thing I do is to play some (low limit) short handed games just to see more cards to hurry towards the end of the the bad run.

Anyway, these adjustments work for me. They may not work for you. You need to figure out what adjustments will work for you. On the other hand, if you're getting cards and losing, you need to chose your tables/opponents better, but that's another subject.
Old 06-10-2005, 10:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Hello -
Quick question for you guys... I have been having a rough couple of weeks with my poker and I just can't seem to get out of this slump. On one hand, I am still somewhat upbeat because a majority of my losses have come on hands that I did play correctly but lost to some pretty crazy draws(don't worry - I'm not going to complain or regail you with my bad beat stories). Anyway, that being said, it still is getting to me and shaking my confidence a little bit. How do you guys stay mentally focused on your game when you are going through a losing spell? I've gone back and reviewed some of my hands, I have taken a break, I have gone down in limits....but I can't quite shake it. Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks!

[/ QUOTE ]

Just remember the cards have no memory. Don't fall into a rut of calling with JJ and justify the poor play by saying, "Jacks never win when I raise." Don't fail to bet your hands for value.

Do not allow players to take shots at you because they notice you have had a bad run.

Whenever I experience a bad run, I buy in for more chips as I get depleted so people think I am winning [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

Good luck and welcome aboard.

Post some hands and you will the forum a better insight into your play.
Old 06-10-2005, 11:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Whenever I experience a bad run, I buy in for more chips as I get depleted so people think I am winning [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

I do this too! I find it humorous and sneakily add a few bucks to my stack here and there.

It also helps because I used to buy-in for $100 on the 2-4 tables and consequently always knew where I stood at any point. This was affecting my play indirectly...problem solved. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]