Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-21-2005, 09:32 PM

Default Mining 6-max vs Mining Full Ring

When mining full ring games, I set my filter to import hands with more than 7 players.

When mining short-handed should I set it to min only greater than 3 players, greater than 4?

How do I use the data effectively during the game if I haven't filtered out during import?

--Dave.

Edit: Not sure where to post this to get best response... I'm looking to get into short-handed play soon, starting at 0.5/1, going up to 3/6 I guess... as an established bonus whore, bankroll isn't a problem, but I've got a feeling this is going to be a tough nut to crack if I want to be a winning player at this game.

--Dave.
Old 09-21-2005, 10:10 PM

Default Re: Mining 6-max vs Mining Full Ring

If you are only going to mine tables with 4 or more, I would think that you'll miss out on other important postflop stats such as aggression and went to showdown.
Old 09-21-2005, 10:50 PM

IMO, there's not really a need to set the filter when mining 6-max tables. They usually remain pretty filled, or they break up. I find it's odd to have tables playing heads up or 3 handed for long periods of time, but even so, you'll want heads up stats for the players that are comfortable playing heads up.
Old 09-22-2005, 12:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If you are only going to mine tables with 4 or more, I would think that you'll miss out on other important postflop stats such as aggression and went to showdown.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well... maybe and maybe not...

I mean, you'll get accurate numbers on these stats for games in which there's 4 or more players, because games with three or less won't be included in the stats at all...

i.e. you play 5 games, three of them are 4-handed, two are 3-handed. In the 4-handed, you show down twice, in the three handed, you show down both times.

Your WSD is 66% if I've filtered for 4-handed games, as opposed to what I think you would have expected it to be: 40%.
Old 09-22-2005, 12:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
IMO, there's not really a need to set the filter when mining 6-max tables. They usually remain pretty filled, or they break up. I find it's odd to have tables playing heads up or 3 handed for long periods of time, but even so, you'll want heads up stats for the players that are comfortable playing heads up.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thank you for the insight on table stability!

As someone that's hardly ever played them before, I had no idea...

Here's the problem though...

assume that I'm sitting at a table with 5 guys. I've got 100 mined hands on two of the guys. Unfortunately, it says that their vpip is 90% and pfr is 40%, because they've got 100 mined heads-up hands...

Do you see how this could be a problem when pokerace splashes their stats on my table? [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

I mean, yes, I'd like to mine HU play, but I'd like to know how I can avoid having those stats taint my numbers when I'm sitting at a 5-handed table...

Anyone have any ideas?

--DAve.
Old 09-22-2005, 12:24 PM

Heads up games in my opinion are the only ones that will badly skew your numbers. 3-handed is not nearly as crazy. 3-handed games also don't tend to remain 3-handed for long.
Old 09-22-2005, 12:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Heads up games in my opinion are the only ones that will badly skew your numbers. 3-handed is not nearly as crazy. 3-handed games also don't tend to remain 3-handed for long.

[/ QUOTE ]

So filtering for >= 3 wouldn't be too bad.

... Also, something that i noticed while mining yesterday is that the tables almost never broke during the mid afternoon!
Old 09-22-2005, 12:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

... Sounds like 3-handed is therefore a golden opportunity. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Edit: Other than that it doesn't happen for long. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 09-22-2005, 05:13 PM

Yep, I sure do. This is why I try to use PokerAce for ring games, and PT's gametime window (or mostly nothing) for 6-max. I mostly use no reads because I play only 1 or 2 tables while 6-maxing, and using my own reads works better. Occasionally, I use PT's gametime window & filter for 6-max games with 4+ other people (so 5+ players).

I'd rather the HUD software of your choice do the filtering rather than you filtering the data you collect. More data is better than less data ... you just have to use it properly.

Good luck!
Old 09-22-2005, 05:57 PM

If you're not planning on playing HU or 3handed 6m, then you really don't need to mine those situations. If you're only going to play 4+ at 6m, for example, then simply filter to 4+ as you suggested earlier. I feel that getting VPIP / PFR numbers accurate for the number of players is more important than simply collecting as much data as possible.

Now if you're planning on playing HU or 3handed in 6m, you may need to create multiple PT db's and filter for 2-3 players in one DB and 4+ in the other. I don't know how to mine into 2 DB's at the same time or if it's possible.