Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-28-2005, 10:08 AM

Default Overly Aggressive or Good Poker?

$2/$4 UltimateBet (10-handed)

MP2 is aggressive and loose. He likes to limp in with any suited connectors and any Ace in any position. Also, I have been playing for 3 hours and I have seen MP2 raising the flop on draws and bluffs that caught up on the turn and river. He frequently liked to raise or C/R on any street when the board looked scary and he had some kind of hand.

Preflop: Hero is Button with K [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Q [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
4 folds, MP2 calls, 1 fold, CO calls, Hero raises, SB folds, BB folds, MP2 calls, CO calls.

Flop: (7.5 SB) A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 9 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (3 players)
MP2 checks, CO checks, Hero bets, MP2 raises, CO folds, Hero re-raises, MP2 calls.

Turn: (6.75 BB) 7 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (2 players)
MP2 checks, Hero checks.

River: (6.75 BB) 6 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (2 players)
MP2 checks, Hero checks.

Final Pot: 6.75 BB

I figured he probably had a flush draw when he check-raised me on the flop. If he had the Ace I would've expected this on the turn from him. I re-raised b/c I knew if he just called then he didn't have an Ace and was most likely on a draw. Also, I wanted him to throw away a pair of 9's or lower. Even if he had an Ace with a weak kicker I don't think he would've slowed down on the flop.

He checked on the turn so I checked along hoping for a King or Queen. I didn't bet figuring if he called me on the flop then he's calling me on the turn with a 9 or some little pair.

When he checked on the river I checked b/c it's pointless to bet. A busted draw will fold to a bet and any pair up to this point will call.

He flipped over Q [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] J [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] and I took down the pot.

My main questions are, even though I won, is this a good way to play in situations like these? While it is an expensive way to find out if he has an Ace, I thought there was some chance that I had the best hand, and even if I didn't he might let it go right here if he didn't have an Ace.

Also, should I have played the turn or river any differently?
Old 07-09-2005, 01:27 AM

Default Re: Overly Aggressive or Good Poker?

I like this line if you really know your opponent which it seems like you do. NH
Old 07-09-2005, 04:08 AM

Default Re: Overly Aggressive or Good Poker?

I don't like this hand for a very simply reason--you put him (accurately, as it turns out) on a badly misplayed flush draw, correctly (as it turns out) 3-bet the flop with the best hand, and then checked through the turn giving him a free shot at his (as it turns out) 15 outer!

If you're going to stay in this pot past the flop, you absolutely must bet the turn, because he will call with any pair or his draw. You seem confident in your read that he does not have an ace, which means that even if you're behind to a pair of nines or a pocket underpair, you still have at least 6 good outs--enough to semibluff with, especially if there's a shot that he'll fold said pair. Bet the turn and then check through UI on the river.