Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-11-2005, 07:23 PM

Default Standard?

Party Poker 5/10 Hold'em (6 max, 6 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is BB with K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
UTG calls, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, SB completes, Hero checks.

Flop: (3 SB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG bets</font>, SB calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, UTG folds, SB calls.

Turn: (4 BB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, SB calls.

River: (6 BB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, SB calls.

Final Pot: 8 BB
Old 04-11-2005, 08:01 PM

Default Re: Standard?

yeah....on raggedy flops i go for the flop checkraise. If you really know you opponent will fire two bullets, i wait for the turn. I see this get checked through a lot on the turn though, and people tend to fold out there, so i go ahead and get the money in now while i can.
Old 04-11-2005, 08:10 PM

I'd lead here most of the time and just call a reraise, attempting to check-raise. If UTG is pretty certain to bet &amp; keep betting then calling and waiting for the turn has its merits.
Old 04-11-2005, 09:38 PM

I like to bet the flop with the intention of 3-betting if given the opportunity, as there is no guarantee that UTG will bet the flop (or the turn) given the open-limp preflop. The flop c/r accomplishes the same thing but IMHO UTG betting the flop is unreliable at best unless you have a read.

Also, going 3-bets on the flop(or 2 with a successful c/r) will make this a decent sized pot by the turn, and will be more likely to induce a call down, while a turn checkraise in a smallish pot would be more likely to fold out hands b/c it shows so much strength.

Additionally, this avoids giving free cards, which aren't that big a risk to your winning but make getting callers less likely b/c the pot will be only 1.5 BBs on the turn.

There is an argument for a slowplay here as well, however I personally like to try and build the pot early here to tie any callers to at least 1BB on both the turn and river to get to showdown instead of risking them folding the turn after not getting any bets on the flop.

In short, I like the flop c/r when you can count on UTG to bet, but I feel it is read-dependent and makes betting the flop a better choice.

Surf
Old 04-11-2005, 09:43 PM

I had a read I didn't give in this instance. I agree that leading/3-betting is a good option against unknown. I also agree that any line involving checking with the intention of checkraising isn't very good without a strong read.

Krishan
Old 04-11-2005, 09:44 PM

what surfbullet said.
Old 04-11-2005, 09:46 PM

Cools. Include your reads then, so we can incorporate them into our decisions as you would have at the table! [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Also, had you checked with the intention of raising the turn? Or was the c/r planned because you could count on UTG to bet?

Surf
Old 04-11-2005, 09:46 PM

w00t! I think I'm finally starting to understand this stuff. A little.

Surf
Old 04-11-2005, 09:51 PM

krishanleong,

I don't care for the flop checkraise at all. The absolute last thing I want to do is have the flop checked through and give any gutshot a free card.

Bet and hope to 3-bet. On the other hand, if you "know" that UTG will bet when checked to (as is customary in the 5/10 game) then your play is perfect...

___1___
Old 04-11-2005, 10:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Cools. Include your reads then, so we can incorporate them into our decisions as you would have at the table

[/ QUOTE ]

I do usually. In this particular situation I had a little read but also thought cring the flop was standard with no reads. It sure feels like a limper will always take a shot against the blinds. So the comments I got were perfect for me. I now know the standard line against unknowns is to lead.

Krishan