Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-04-2004, 07:39 AM

Default I think I found a leak

Should I have gotten away from this?

Preflop: Hero is MP3 with K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
UTG folds, <font color="CC3333">UTG+1 raises</font>, UTG+2 calls, MP1 folds, MP2 folds, <font color="CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, CO calls, Button calls, SB folds, BB folds, UTG+1 calls, UTG+2 calls.

Flop: (16.50 SB) A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(5 players) </font>
UTG+1 checks, UTG+2 checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, CO calls, Button calls, UTG+1 folds, UTG+2 folds.

Turn: (9.75 BB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(3 players) </font>
<font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, CO calls, Button calls.

River: (12.75 BB) T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(3 players) </font>
Hero checks, <font color="CC3333">CO bets</font>, Button calls, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 15.75 BB
<font color="#990066">Main Pot: 15.75 BB, between CO, Button and Hero.</font> &gt; <font color="white">Pot won by CO (15.75 BB).</font>

Results in white below: <font color="white">
Hero shows Kh Kc (one pair, kings).
CO shows 8d 8h (three of a kind, eights).
Button shows Th Qh (two pair, queens and tens).
Outcome: CO wins 15.75 BB. </font>
Old 05-04-2004, 08:20 AM

Default Re: I think I found a leak

The overcall on the river is optimistic imo. One of them will probably have you beat.
Old 05-04-2004, 09:11 AM

Should I have gotten away from this?

With no background on the players involved you pose a difficult question.

I do not think you misplayed the hand, if anything the cutoff lost a few bets by the way he played his hand.

The cutoff flopped a set and failed to gain any additional bets on the turn.

Old 05-04-2004, 09:37 AM

It's hard to believe you're ahead of 2 on the river, but nobody gave you any reason to fear anything. You havge to like UTG+1 folding with that Ace on the flop.

The board kept getting uglier, but I have to believe I would have called this down without any other notice from you opponents. C A L L I N G S T A T I O N S
Old 05-04-2004, 09:38 AM

With no reads on the players, its difficult to analyze this hand.

No one but yourself and UTG+1 have represented any strength preflop, but CO and Button called 2 cold.

What types of players are they? What will they call 2 cold with preflop and how will they play it after?

On the flop, you must bet and eliminated UTG+1 as a threat. CO and Button just call...again this is where reads are essential.

Will they play any Ace for 2 cold? Will they play a strong ace (say AK/AQ) this way and wait until the turn to pop it? Will they play any two cards, any two suited, etc and why would they continue on the flop to see the turn?

Turn completes the club flush draw and you bet...CO calls and Button calls.

I like the river check here, because at this point you are probably wondering what would they call 2 cold with preflop and call down the whole way when an Ace is on the board.

My guess on how CO played it is that he is a little tricky and was going for overcalls, probably going to overcall the river as well as the flush and broadway draws are on the board...but most opponents would probably raise the turn or river here if you bet rather than going for overcalls. So either CO is weak-tight or smart enough to put you on a good starting hand (big pockets and doesn't fear the flush/straight draw) and knows Button is a weak player and is going for the overcalls.

Was CO a pretty good player or just a passive calling station? I think he played it pretty well (assuming Button is indeed weak and he knows you are a good player). If he raises, he makes it two more to Button (who may fold, doesn't want that) and you will realize you are likely beat to a strong Ace or better and fold. I think he makes more by having you bet it for him and just going for overcalls.
Old 05-04-2004, 10:01 AM

Location: duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem (mets are 9-13, currently on a 1 game winning streak)

I think I found a leak

methinks you worry too much
Old 05-04-2004, 11:10 AM

ohhhhhhhhhhhhh yeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah
Old 05-04-2004, 11:34 AM

I would have played it the exact same way except for the river. On that street, if I planned on putting a bet in the pot, I would have led. Otherwise, I'd be in check-fold mode. You definitely shouldn't be overcalling the river.

The Bear

Old 05-04-2004, 11:46 AM

Default To all you check-callers

With a number of players advocating a check-call on the river, I'd like to make it very clear that leading the river is a FAR superior strategy. This is basic Theory of Poker out-of-position river play.

There's no busted draw on this board. You aren't going to pick off a bluff. The other two players will check it through with hands worse than yours and value-bet with hands that are better. You can also very safely fold to a raise. This is NOT a check-calling situation.

Who agrees? Who disagrees?

The Bear