Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-22-2005, 03:39 PM

Default Live free poker

Check out Amatuer Poker League. APL is in quite a few major cities across the nation and provides a fun, educational avenue into the poker world. The best thing is that its all free with great prizes and a chance to play in WPT and WSOP events.
Old 11-22-2005, 04:03 PM

Default Re: Live free poker

Here's the web site: http://www.amateurpokerleague.com/

Using the standard spelling of amateur helps, although nowadays with Google I guess you'd find it eventually anyway.

I'm hoping this doesn't constitute spam -- it certainly seems helpful. Many will question the validity of poker without money directly at stake, but (a) there are prizes and (b)for that matter people in the Foxwoods $2/4 play like there's no money at stake. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 11-22-2005, 04:29 PM

In the Madison and Milwaukee WI areas they have a free live league called BadgerPoker and it was a lot of fun playing in it. They also give out weekly prizes and the grand prize at the end of each season was a Vegas trip. Now they're even giving away a WSOP seat. The blind structure makes it quite a crap shoot but it's still fun to play at. You could also find live games and such with the other players. I'm sure they have these types of leagues all over the place now as the business that they're at make quite a little money when they play there. Phil Helmuth even went to one of the events and signed autographs and stuff which I thought was pretty neat. I know most of you don't like the guy but I thought it was pretty nice of him to come to an event like that for free just to meat people from his hometown interested in poker.
Old 11-23-2005, 06:17 PM

Also, check out The Fantasy Poker League. Currently hosting wonderful free games in Texas, Minnesota, North Dakota, Ohio, and Nebraska.
Old 11-23-2005, 09:21 PM

Don't forget http://heylookihaveasiteicanspamon2+2also.com
Old 11-25-2005, 01:01 AM

I played in an APL tournament on Wednesday night outside of Houston. Overall, It was a fun time and it was nice to play live instead of online. I found that I got really nervous early on and was giving off some serious tells. (I hit quads on the river in a huge pot and couldn't stop shaking). I thought the players were very loose and didn't respect position or raises. While I was there I thought these were some of the worse players I had ever seen but in hindsight, the blinds increased so rapidly that after 1 hour everyone was in fear of being blinded away. when I was eliminated I was in the big blind with 15,000. Blinds were 5000/10,000 and no one had more than 20,000 in chips at the table.