Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-24-2005, 06:47 PM

Default Heads up action: QQ

20+2 @ Stars. Opponent is ok, not bad. He's played better since play was heads up, to which I am suprised he is putting up that much of a fight. Anywho, he took a really long time to call the re-raise pre-flop. He's been raising his button quite a bit and shown some hands (AKs, 77 twice, KQ). Thoughts on the flop?

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t200 (2 handed) converter

Hero (t5250)
Button (t8250)

Preflop: Hero is BB with Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#CC3333">Button raises to t600</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t1600</font>, Button calls t1000.

Flop: (t3200) 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero ?
Old 10-24-2005, 06:51 PM

Default Re: Heads up action: QQ

Check. I want to see what he does.
Old 10-24-2005, 06:59 PM

Well, you gave him pot odds to call (probably a good move with QQ, by the way, since it's not all that obvious here). Maybe that's what he was figuring out.

And I'm thinking he pushes an A preflop.

So I'm probably ahead. But I'm not real sure. I also don't think I'm getting a worse hand to call.

But I'm also not eager to give free cards to a straight draw.

I don't know. Looks like a check/call, hoping he pushes with a weaker hand, although I'm not thrilled about it.
Old 10-24-2005, 07:15 PM

If villian is raising a lot, an occasional reraise is a good counter-strategy, along with raising a lot yourself and an occasional reraise-push. That said, I'm not in love with your reraise here for 30% of your stack.

Anyway, we are where we are. I'd play it as if I had TPTK. Make your standard flop bet -- say 2000 for the sake of discussion -- with the intention of check--calling/folding the turn and river.

The Shadow
Old 10-24-2005, 07:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'd play it as if I had TPTK. Make your standard flop bet -- say 2000 for the sake of discussion -- with the intention of check--calling/folding the turn and river.

The Shadow

[/ QUOTE ]

First off, with your river line you're saying you should potentially fold in for 1600 with the chance to win over 9000. I don't know about that.

And why would you ever bet 2000 with tptk here?
Old 10-24-2005, 07:26 PM

Raise more preflop when you're OOP.
Old 10-24-2005, 07:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Raise more preflop when you're OOP.

[/ QUOTE ]

You mean push?
Old 10-24-2005, 07:42 PM

*shrug* Read dependant.
Old 10-24-2005, 08:05 PM

It's a good thing the slider on Stars is electronic because if it were a manual lever, I'd come so far over the top of his T600 raise and push hard and fast all the way to the right most likely breaking it clean off.

Of course, that could be why my firsts are lagging a bit now that I think about it.

Onaflag...........
Old 10-25-2005, 06:48 PM

Default RESULTS

I like re-raising rather than pushing as I think it gives me more room to steal (his pre-flop raises) as well as allowing my opponent to make big mistakes w/ marginal hands by calling. But in this case, the blinds are so big in relation to my stack that it leaves me in an awkward spot on a A-x-x or K-x-x flop w/ T3650 and a 3200 pot. Under card flop plays itself. In hindsight I should have just committed myself pre-flop by making it T4200.

FLOP: I think it's all-in or check-fold. My opponent is not checking behind if I check. ANY bet commits me by opponent. Problem w/ push is he is calling w/ anything that beats me. Flipside is me might fold KK, call w/ JJ-99. This spot sucks and I messed it up pre-flop.

<font color="red"> Hero bets 3650 all-in, Villain calls. </font> shows A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

TURN Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

I play g00t