Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Omaha/8
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-16-2005, 10:38 AM

Default Are there any good books on O8B?

Hello everyone:

Are there any good books out there on playing O8B? I would like to improve the game. I know that Annie Duke is some expert in O8B and has a new book but I don't know if it pertains to this game. Any thought on that?

Johnny
Old 06-16-2005, 12:38 PM

Default Re: Are there any good books on O8B?

There are a bunch of good posts on this.

http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/sh...mp;sb=5&o=
+ more. Go ahead and search.

We really need a sticky in this section that contains the answer to this question.
Old 06-16-2005, 03:10 PM

Try this site www.O8poker.com
Old 06-16-2005, 04:11 PM

Thanks for the link. I have a question for you. What is the idea bankroll for O8B?

Johnny
Old 06-16-2005, 04:49 PM

Depends. If you are a good winning player, I’d sit down at the highest limits you could afford to 2-table with 25BBs +10% cushion at the table, and drop down if I lost.

i.e. If I had $330 i'd take 10% out as a cushion. Then my $300 split to 2-tables is $150 per table. Divide by 25BB gives me exactly 3-6, so i play there. That assumes you are a winner at 3-6, of course.

Note that I think the Party games are generally bad and that bankroll determines where most people play. Quality of opposition improves as you move up, but no where near as much as you’d expect. So I am on the aggressive end of advising you to move up (but i'm also aggressive about moving back down if you hit trouble).

--Greg
Old 06-16-2005, 07:54 PM

Gergery:

Thanks for that info. At the $3/$6 table that is not a lot of a cushion. I guess you have to be super tight? Also would consider using the same formula to pot limit?

Johnny
Old 06-16-2005, 08:03 PM

No, it isn’t a lot of cushion, but then you don’t need a lot in limit O8 games. I think Mason Malmuth’s old Poker Essays article notes a bankroll of $200 needed for 1 $3-6 table for an excellent player. So my recommended amount is definitely on the light side, but then i recommend moving down at trouble too.

No, I think you need more cushion in PLO8. That game is more about bet-ability on turn-river, so you are coming in with more hands and relying on implied odds. Which means more call-fold repeatedly followed by call-win big.

--G
Old 06-16-2005, 09:38 PM

Gergery:

I just finish reading "omaha holdem poker" by Ciafone and he said for pot limit omaha is to have your hand made at the flop. If you did not made your hand at the flop then try to see the turn cheap if not fold. What you think in your experience?

Johnny
Old 06-17-2005, 09:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I just finish reading "omaha holdem poker" by Ciafone and he said for pot limit omaha is to have your hand made at the flop. If you did not made your hand at the flop then try to see the turn cheap if not fold. What you think in your experience?

[/ QUOTE ]

If he means "made" in the sense that you have a hand you can show down, then he is giving absolutely horrible advice. A big drawing hand will often be the favorite on the flop, sometimes by a wide margin. For example, if I have A245ds and the flop is 35K with two of my suit, I will be a big pot equity favorite (65:35) over KKQJ, even though my hand has zero showdown value at present.

If he means, fold when you miss the flop or catch a hand that could easily be second best -- I can't argue with that.