Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-28-2005, 03:37 PM

Default Trip aces OOP

Sorry, no hand history. $10 freezeout, 76 of 94 left. I complete in the SB with A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
Me, BB and 3 others see the flop, blinds are 15/30.
All stacks are ~3000.

Flop (t150) A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
Hero?

What do you do here? Pot it? Check-raise? What is your action on future streets?
Old 09-28-2005, 03:50 PM

Default Re: Trip aces OOP

I lead 110 or check-and-see. Probably lead 1/3 and check 2/3 but I really don't know.

What I do after I check is very situational (how many players involved + reads). Same thing if I lead and get raised.

I'd say more but there are about a million ways this can play out against 4 opponents OOP, and I'm too lazy to consider all of them.

Post more of the flop action and then we can discuss...

Che
Old 09-28-2005, 03:56 PM

I'd check and see what happens. A6 is likely to win a small pot, but could loose a really big one. With 100XBB I'd be very interested in keeping the pot small.

I think you can get raised by flush draws and aces if you lead, and will not get anymore info. The pot will get big quickly.
Old 09-28-2005, 04:00 PM

No reads on villains, played 2 or 3 orbits.

I pot it, BB and MP calls.
Turn (t600) 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
Hero?

The flop bet didn't give me much information, except that at least one of them is probably drawing to the flush.
Old 09-28-2005, 04:21 PM

I would lead the turn for 450. They're most likely on flush draws and/or a Q. Still too many possibilities for the rest of the turn and the river to enumerate them all.
Old 09-29-2005, 09:37 AM

Okay, thanks.
I potted the turn again, as I wanted to take the pot down right away, and MP called.

Turn (t1800): 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

Bad card, I'm almost certainly behind now, except against A2-A4. Check-fold? Blocking bet, fold to a raise?
Old 09-29-2005, 09:40 AM

I wouldn't check-raise...seems too risky if nobody bets you'll be giving all sorts of straight draws and flush draws a free card. Definitely bet...maybe 2/3 of pot. Sort of interesting - there's another hand posted from SB with K2 and a KKJ flop, but many more limpers and a slightly less coordinated board.
Old 09-29-2005, 11:52 AM

Eek.

I probably check-call in a $10 tourney. I find those opponents will generally bet small with their monsters (boat, flush, or trips) and bet big (or even check behind) with hands you are beating.

I'm not sure what I would do against tough opponents. Sometimes blocking bet/fold, sometimes check-call, sometimes check-fold.

So what happened?
Old 09-29-2005, 06:34 PM

I bet 400 as a blocking bet (too small?), villain raised me all-in, and I folded.

I think trips with a low kicker are often hard to play, as I often pay far too much to know whether I'm ahead or behind.
I don't like loosing almost half my stack to a hand like this, but at the same time I can't wait forever to get a hand where I can accumulate chips, so not playing it is too weak-passive.