Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-04-2005, 02:35 PM

Default Let\'s try a play along...newbies\' chance to shine

Let's try to keep this to rookies, ok, at least for original plays? Veterans chime in to correct mistakes that aren't being corrected by other posters?

The table is fairly loose-passive. 4-5 people seeing most flops, not much preflop raising going on, but a raise also doesn't seem to thin the field preflop.

The guy two seats to my left plays really tight, unless somebody raises in front of him and then he's always in.

The guy to his left and I have been having a running feud with a couple of raising wars postflop and things; he's not terrible, but he seems to react badly to being challenged.

So, let's start it out:

Paradise Poker 1/2 Hold'em (10 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is UTG+1 with Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero ?

What and why, kids?
Old 07-04-2005, 02:51 PM

Default Re: Let\'s try a play along...newbies\' chance to shine

I raise preflop to get the tight ass who loves preflop action to call with what will most likely be a weaker hand. If I catch any part of the flop, I check-raise, hopefully inducing a bet from the the postflop maniac or from someone in LP. This will hopefully let me see the turn three-handed, or even better heads up, greatly improving my chances to win the pot.
Old 07-04-2005, 02:54 PM

Raises.

Against any random hands, QK has much much more than 11% equity. A raise doesn't limit the field, so we are in a great situation. The tight guy is probably going to call, like you said, which is a clear mistake. You only profit by mistakes like this. Maybe the guy we are feuding with will 3 bet, knocking out the field - this is also good for us, as we don't mind playing KQ against 2/3 or 6/7 players.
Old 07-04-2005, 03:06 PM

Default Flop action

Ok, I raised because KQ is happy playing multihanded or shorthanded and I want to get money into the pot, and I got the 4-5 players to the flop I expected. What now?

Preflop: Hero is UTG+1 with Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP1 calls, MP2 calls, MP3 calls, <font color="#666666">4 folds</font>.

Flop: (9.50 SB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
Hero ?
Old 07-04-2005, 03:12 PM

Default Re: Flop action

I think this depends on how much MP1 truely hates us. If we think he will raise if we bet, then we bet so that the rest of the field is faced with 2 cold, and we have more chance of winning if a K or Q appears. If, on the other hand, he will probably call, I would just check. He may possibly bet out, giving us a nice relative position. If no one raises, I would most likely take one off. If it is 2 back to me, I fold. I can't see any sense betting this into a field of 3 with draws out there, if they are all just going to call.
Old 07-04-2005, 03:44 PM

Default Re: Flop action

Damn, I killed the thread.
Old 07-04-2005, 04:04 PM

If you catch the flop, you bet out. Why risk it getting checked-through? You would check-raise if someone 3-bet you preflop, but otherwise betting out is better.
Old 07-04-2005, 04:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The guy two seats to my left plays really tight, unless somebody raises in front of him and then he's always in.

[/ QUOTE ]

I must say I've never seen a guy matching this description. What an odd player.
Old 07-04-2005, 05:40 PM

I agree. But I saw him do it at least once an orbit for about 80 hands this morning. Of course, the hand in question he failed me!
Old 07-04-2005, 05:44 PM

Default Re: Flop action - Part 2

I checked. The flop missed me pretty badly but I've got overcards and backdoor flush and straight draws so I neither mind if it gets checked through, nor do I mind calling a bet from either MP1 or MP2 (I expected one of them to bet). Check-check-check, MP3 bets. My action?

<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP1 calls, MP2 calls, MP3 calls, <font color="#666666">4 folds</font>.

Flop: (9.50 SB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
Hero checks, MP1 checks, MP2 checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP3 bets</font>, Hero ?