Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-10-2005, 10:55 PM

Default My Bustout Hand--Oh The Humanity!!

I am on the miserable web TV thing at my hotel, so please forgive , well, anything wrong in this post (non-poker content-related, that is).

Day 2. Down to about 1150 plyers left. Playing well, decent table, about 51K in chips. Playing pretty damned well, even through utter exhaustion (I played saturday night--argh). Cash starting to come into view a little bit.

Table generally trying to play solid. Nobody too dangerous.

9 seat is the weakest player at the table. He seems a little lost, betting strange amounts, calling a lot, etc., but somehow he has 51K in chips, just like me (FORESHADOWING ALERT).

Here's the bloody hand:

Blinds are 400/800+100 ante. 9 seat raises UTG to 2200. 1 fold, and it's to me--two black kings. Sweet. I raise to 5400. All fold to the 9 seat, who insta-calls. Sweet.

Pot is 12,900. Flop comes 6c 9s Tc. We both now have about 45K in chips.

He bets 6K. I am not sure how I feel about this. I know I need to figure out how I feel about this.

His likely hands are AT, KT, AA, QQ, JJ, TT, 99, 66, or AcQc (I have the king of clubs).

I raise to 15K, resolved to muck to an allin reraise, as this guy would never reraise me if I wasn't beat here. This amount makes drawing to AcQc incorrect, and I still feel good about it.

He insta-calls. Now I am confused--I admit it. AT loks most likely but AcQc is quickly gaining ground.

Pot is 43K. Turn comes Kh (6c 9s Tc). We both have about 30K.

He PUSHES.

Now, we all already know that I called and he showed me TJc and won the pot when the river bricked. I'm sure we also all know that the reason I never considered this hand is because he was UTG, raised, and called a decent reraise with it preflop (as it turns out, his flop call is fine, of course). We all also know that I very nearly vomited on the table, stumbled outside of the ropes, and then needed an iron lung just to shamble down the cavernous hazy hallway of shame. I felt that hallway had been designed at that moment by Stanley Kubrick. I felt like Scatman Cruthers in my parka, waiting for Jack to come stick an axe in my chest.

Sorry for the digression.

So, who has a problem with the way I played the hand?

P.S. I am extremely frightened to see any footage of myself at the featured table. Although I played OK, if a bit too tight, and left the featured table with more chips than I arrived with, one never knows how one might come across on the television machine. Be kind if we should ever discuss it, please. [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
Old 07-10-2005, 10:59 PM

Default Re: My Bustout Hand--Oh The Humanity!!

i'm assuming you meant he had QcJc?

Either way, tough way to go.

I don't have any problem with how you played the hand. It's just tough.

I'm sure you came across fine. At least you get to be on TV! Did you say/do anything you think will get airtime?
Old 07-10-2005, 11:08 PM

ouch man. really. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 07-10-2005, 11:10 PM

If I got this right, your flop raise gave him pot odds of 24:9. How does that make it incorrect for AQc to call?

Your preflop reraise is a gamble...it was a very small reraise...he's getting almost 2:1 to call, with enormous implied odds. Yeah, he's outta position, and that's too bad for him, but otherwise, he'll call with a LOT of hands there.

So, you gambled with a tiny reraise, he called, and you thought 'sweet'. I mean, sure, it is sweet if gambling is your goal. I'm not criticizing your play...by gambling you have the chance to win a huge pot. You also have a bigger chance of losing a huge pot.

Sorry it didn't work out this time.

Josh
Old 07-10-2005, 11:19 PM

Yes, he had QcJc.

With Marcel Luske and Simon from london at the table, it was tough to get too involved. I DID have one nice exchange with Simon where he thought that "I Love You Just The Way You Are" was a Barry white song, and my correcting him that most folks don't confuse Barry White with Billy Joel, and that there wasn't "very much soul at this table," but since I was sweating like freakin Chris Farley under the supernova lighting apparatus, and i looked like Jerry seinfeld when his water pressure died (the flat hair episode), I imagine I will not make any final cuts.

I was happy to actually increase my chip stack, even in spite of feeling like Cindy Goddamned Brady when they put her on that show that time.

Maybe you never saw that episode, but she got bad stage fright when the cameras came on.

But you probably figured that out already.

Truth be told, i busted out four hours ago, and I'm still smarting a bit. i mean, if my KKK is good, I have 100+, and am well ahead of average, with a weakish table.

Arg.
Old 07-10-2005, 11:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I am on the miserable web TV thing at my hotel, so please forgive , well, anything wrong in this post (non-poker content-related, that is).

Day 2. Down to about 1150 plyers left. Playing well, decent table, about 51K in chips. Playing pretty damned well, even through utter exhaustion (I played saturday night--argh). Cash starting to come into view a little bit.

Table generally trying to play solid. Nobody too dangerous.

9 seat is the weakest player at the table. He seems a little lost, betting strange amounts, calling a lot, etc., but somehow he has 51K in chips, just like me (FORESHADOWING ALERT).

Here's the bloody hand:

Blinds are 400/800+100 ante. 9 seat raises UTG to 2200. 1 fold, and it's to me--two black kings. Sweet. I raise to 5400. All fold to the 9 seat, who insta-calls. Sweet.

Pot is 12,900. Flop comes 6c 9s Tc. We both now have about 45K in chips.

He bets 6K. I am not sure how I feel about this. I know I need to figure out how I feel about this.

His likely hands are AT, KT, AA, QQ, JJ, TT, 99, 66, or AcQc (I have the king of clubs).

I raise to 15K, resolved to muck to an allin reraise, as this guy would never reraise me if I wasn't beat here. This amount makes drawing to AcQc incorrect, and I still feel good about it.

He insta-calls. Now I am confused--I admit it. AT loks most likely but AcQc is quickly gaining ground.

Pot is 43K. Turn comes Kh (6c 9s Tc). We both have about 30K.

He PUSHES.

Now, we all already know that I called and he showed me TJc and won the pot when the river bricked. I'm sure we also all know that the reason I never considered this hand is because he was UTG, raised, and called a decent reraise with it preflop (as it turns out, his flop call is fine, of course). We all also know that I very nearly vomited on the table, stumbled outside of the ropes, and then needed an iron lung just to shamble down the cavernous hazy hallway of shame. I felt that hallway had been designed at that moment by Stanley Kubrick. I felt like Scatman Cruthers in my parka, waiting for Jack to come stick an axe in my chest.

Sorry for the digression.

So, who has a problem with the way I played the hand?

P.S. I am extremely frightened to see any footage of myself at the featured table. Although I played OK, if a bit too tight, and left the featured table with more chips than I arrived with, one never knows how one might come across on the television machine. Be kind if we should ever discuss it, please. [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

That really blows...and I know how you feel, busted out of the last two $2k nlh events I played after hitting a set that also gave the other guy his hand...set of fives on the turn a few weeks ago at the rio hit the bb's 23 to win it all for him in combination with the ace queen four flop...I think that losing a huge pot with a set to a guy who needed your set card to beat you (that is, he was otherwise just going to lose to your pair) is the single worst thing that can happen in big bet poker, even worse than set over set (where at least the guy had a pair)...of course, here he had the eight other outs that didn't hit you, but at least you might have gotten away from those hands...oh well [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 07-10-2005, 11:39 PM

I cannot cut and paste on this dumb hotel WebTV thing, so bear with me.

First of all, while not the sharpest knife in the drawer, this guy isn't dumb. He knows that my reraise of an utg raise has to be a decent hand, and should definitely know that it's no time to put 3200 more into the pot headsup against me here while out of position. Are you saying that I should not have tried to get the pot headsup with this guy if his likely holding when he raises from utg is a pair lower than kings or AT-AK? I like my preflop raise, and do not really think you are always "gambling" when you do not slam the door closed on your opponent. If an ace comes, I can get away from my hand. Hell, as the OP states, I could have gotten away from my hand on the turn if he had me beat then, but he did not.

The odds I offered AcQc to draw are NOT adequate if you know you can't see the river if you miss on the turn, coupled with the understanding that I might very likely hold KK, eliminating 3 of your outs, and further seeing that (again, as the OP states), I am not going to pay you all the way off if you make your flush.

All things considered, I believe my turn raise was right, and although I was definitely looking to make a few bucks with my kings, I do not think I was gambling too terribly much.

And while yes, it is ironic I would say that after going all the way broke with the hand, bear in mind that my flop raise is still permitting me a way out, and that what fell was the worst conceivable card.
Old 07-10-2005, 11:52 PM

I agree with the previous poster that said you raised too little. I would have made it 6600 to go at least.

Sorry to hear about the beat though.
Old 07-10-2005, 11:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Pot is 43K. Turn comes Kh (6c 9s Tc). We both have about 30K...So, who has a problem with the way I played the hand?

[/ QUOTE ]

With his hand it doesn't matter, but maybe you should just push all in on the flop. Once the pot gets bigger than your chip stack you start having to call a lot anyway if he hits because you only have to win 30 out of 73 times.
Old 07-11-2005, 12:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]
... having to call a lot anyway if he hits because you only have to win 30 out of 73 times.

[/ QUOTE ]

this is way wrong. it isn't a ring game.