Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-09-2005, 10:57 AM

Default What should i do?

Hi all,
I'm kinda new here and here's my problem:P
I started playing about 8 months ago, i deposited 100$ on pokerstars and started out on 0,5/0,10 NLH. half april i had 250$ and went up to 0,10/0,25 NLH and by september i had about 600$ and went up to 0,25/0,50. thats when it started to drop, i had some freaky hands and lost 200 in just 3 or 4 hours. that were some bad beats in a row but i had to move back to the quarters and it kept dropping, im now back to 250$ and don't know what i should do. i am pretty confident i am able to hande the 0,25/0,50 tables but i have to have enough BR for it. shall i keep playing the quarter tables assuming i will win (assuming i just have a big downswing) or move down again just to be sure (assuming i'm just a very, very bad player).

btw, i always play 5 tables about 2 hours a day (since may).
another thing i thought about trying is making an account at partypoker so i could play 10 tables of 0,5/0,10 at the same time. i'm a pretty thight player and i've read nlhfap, top and nl$pl poker.
Old 10-09-2005, 11:11 AM

Default Re: What should i do?

With a $250 bankroll, playing the $50 tables may not be the best idea, unless you don't mind depositing more money into your account. Best to stick with the $25 tables and gradually increase your roll IMO.
Old 10-09-2005, 12:53 PM

It could be the fact you're not good enough yet.
Maybe you're a losing player at the moment. Reason I'm saying this is when I started out I was winning for 2 months and I really thought I could handle the tables I played on. I later found out I played way too many hands, didn't understand post flop at all etc etc. I am still learning every day, but atleast I'm moving forward.

Not really saying you're not good enough here, just saying that maybe you had some good months when you started out, and now the "luck" has ran out. Just a thought, 400BB in 4 hours sounds like something is wrong.
Old 10-09-2005, 04:50 PM

In addition to what's already been suggested, you might try dropping the number of tables you're playing at once. Concentrating on plugging the leaks in your play and then work your way back up again.
Old 10-10-2005, 05:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]
In addition to what's already been suggested, you might try dropping the number of tables you're playing at once. Concentrating on plugging the leaks in your play and then work your way back up again.

[/ QUOTE ]
I'd agree with this entirely.
Old 10-10-2005, 09:02 AM

Losing 8 buy-ins in one session is symbolic of leaks. For a good player, the NL $25's are crushable. Sure you will have downswings, but you should ever get stacked 8 times in a session.

Do you have pokertracker? Post some of your hands in the SSHE forum and get some feedback. There are several posters whose advice is worth heeding.

If you are comfortable at the $25's then stay there and build your roll. Staying in the $25's doesn't mean you are bad player. Build up your roll to handle the swings, because they bigger as you move up.

I built my bankroll to over $1,000 before I moved up to NL $50. Went to NL $100 at about $3,000 and now am playing NL $200. I am not posting this to brag, but to illustrate that you need to have a bankroll management plan with clear goals on when to move up (or down).
Old 10-10-2005, 11:51 AM

Slow down a notch or two. You're talking about playing 10 tables when you should probably be playing 2 or at the most 3. I know you think you've got a lot of experience but you don't. I switched from 4 tabling full ring games to 2 tabling 6 max and I think I'm playing much better. Until you have a great handle on the game and can make decisions automatically stay away from 4 or 5 tabling. I don't know NL bankrolls but I would say that a good way not to start out is by playing over your BR. Also, I'd pick up either GSIH or SSH. Don't assume you're a very very bad player but don't assume that you're going to win because you've just had a big downsing either. Remember, random events are independent of each other.
Old 10-10-2005, 11:56 AM

thnx for all the reactions,

i don't have pokertracker yet, think i'm going to buy that first. i'm going to try playing less tables at the same time. i was playing five because i think i play kinda thight straightforward poker and i get pretty fast annoyed and bored on just one table, all the time thinking i could play more.

I will stay on $25, get pokertracker and start on 2 or 3 tables at one time.
Everybody thnx for their advice, i'll let you know what happens:P