Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-24-2005, 07:41 AM

Default AKs gets capped preflop

Button in this hand is an awful 70/0/0.5 type player and SB is a good tight player.
Hero is in BB with Ah Kh.

Folded to button who limps, SB raises, hero 3 bets, button cc’s and SB caps, hero and button call. (12 SB’s)

Flop: 7d,8d 2c. SB bets, hero calls, button calls (15SB’s)

Turn: Ks. SB bets, hero calls, button calls (10.5BB’s)

River: As. SB bets, hero calls, button folds
Old 11-24-2005, 07:47 AM

Default Re: AKs gets capped preflop

Raise the turn. It's a good idea to get 2 more BBs out of button when you have the best hand. I'm not yet ready to give SB credit for KK/AA. With this being close to a blind-steal situation (folded to button, who limped, so SB can be raising and capping a bit lighter than normal -- especially if you describe him as a TAG). On the river, going for an overcall is fine because you could be chopping with SB a lot of the time.
Old 11-24-2005, 07:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Button in this hand is an awful 70/0/0.5 type player and SB is a good tight player.

[/ QUOTE ]

if SB is good, there is absolutely no way he is just calling w/ a big pair the first time around. 70VPIP cannot read hands whatsoever is totally passive preflop, so good chance he is (somewhat) full of it preflop.

i would raise the flop w/ the likely best hand on the 8high board to try to fold the button. if he has QT you really want to raise it here. if the sb calls, you can decide whether you want a free card or whether you wanna keep firing, planning to check it down on the river. personally, id bet it again again on a blank.

w/ the flop just call, raise the turn, and (cry)call down if you get threebet by anyone.
Old 11-24-2005, 08:16 AM

IMO. You played this fine.

I don't want to raise the flop with A high on a ragged board against a preflop capper.
I don't want to raise the turn (though it's close) because I don't think the overlay from button is enough.
SB 3bets when we're beat and may (should) fold when button does happen to call the two cold and he's behind.
Going for the overcall on the river is the right play.
Old 11-24-2005, 08:24 AM

To clarify, I wasn't going for an overcall on the river, it was more of a crying call thinking I was most probably beaten. If it was heads-up on the river I would have done the same
Old 11-24-2005, 08:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]

I don't want to raise the turn (though it's close) because I don't think the overlay from button is enough.
SB 3bets when we're beat and may (should) fold when button does happen to call the two cold and he's behind.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why is it a bad thing if the SB folds to our turn raise? If he's behind, he might check-fold the river anyway, so we don't lose anything by raising. But if he has QQ/JJ and spikes a set on the river, we'd kick ourselves for not raising him off of it on the turn. (That's if he's the type to fold QQ to a raise on this turn -- if he's not, then even better; we get 2 more BBs out of him).

Also, remember there are times SB won't even 3-bet AA (for fear of KK; though if he's a TAG he should 3-bet) and times he'll 3-bet AK, which is fine.
Old 11-24-2005, 08:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]
But if he has QQ/JJ and spikes a set on the river, we'd kick ourselves for not raising him off of it on the turn.

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm not saying I don't like the turn raise, I do, but Button making a poor overcall with QQ/JJ if we just call isn't the reason.

I'll raise the turn, Button is likely to call 2 cold with hands that doesn't justify it and we're ahead of SB pretty often.
Old 11-24-2005, 09:19 AM

What hands do you think a good player would cap with preflop in this situation? I see him being ahead of me more often than not:

It feels to me that when good players cap preflop, AA, KK come up a HIGH majority of the time, QQ sometimes (do you guys always cap QQ?), AK more rarely, JJ even more rarely.

I was actually inclined just to fold this on the flop, as I felt my outs were very ‘dirty’ and seeing the K come on the turn didn’t make me very happy cos I was forced to call. Raising just seemed out of the question because getting 3 bet is gonna suck badly and I’m faced with a very difficult decision. I’d rather pay the same price to see what is more than likely the winning hand.

Another plan: raising the flop and folding to a 3 bet (yes he might have QQ but the chance of him having it AND us hitting are small), if flop raise is called, folding to turn donk bet (if turn is blank).

Anyone want to just fold this flop seeing as our situation just sucks?
Old 11-24-2005, 10:01 AM

Folding the flop getting 15:1 is bad.

I think putting the tag capper on a range tighter than AA-JJ/AK would be bad. He also gain more by capping when having a retard along, HU is another thing.

I do believe we're ahead ~50% of the time at the turn, not counting the splits, so maybe raising and getting exposed to a 3-bet is a bad idea. A 3-bet would really blow. I think I might agree calling down is the best option.
Old 11-24-2005, 11:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Why is it a bad thing if the SB folds to our turn raise? If he's behind, he might check-fold the river anyway, so we don't lose anything by raising. But if he has QQ/JJ and spikes a set on the river, we'd kick ourselves for not raising him off of it on the turn. (That's if he's the type to fold QQ to a raise on this turn -- if he's not, then even better; we get 2 more BBs out of him).

Also, remember there are times SB won't even 3-bet AA (for fear of KK; though if he's a TAG he should 3-bet) and times he'll 3-bet AK, which is fine.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think SB is bet\folding or bet\3betting the turn 99.9% of the time (and definitely 3betting with AA). I think raising to get rid of 2 outers when there is a semi-descent chance we're behind is a bad play.

Also, I think he is much more likely to c/c or b\f the river with QQ,JJ after we call the turn. So we do lose something by raising.

We make an extra .8BB from BU if he's on a FD by raising. But you only make that when you are ahead of SB. And you can't fold to a 3bet. If we're behind to SB we're likely losing almost 2 full BB by raising.

I agree, if Button will call 2 cold a large % of the time with a worse hand (that isn't a FD), then raising the turn is a viable option, as you don't have to be as sure that you are ahead of SB.