Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-19-2005, 06:21 AM

Default Standard?

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $6 BB (9 handed) converter

UTG ($574.60)
UTG+1 ($140.30)
MP1 ($330.50)
MP2 ($113.80)
MP3 ($709.10)
Hero ($557.95)
Button ($618.40)
SB ($594)
BB ($1114.10)

Preflop: Hero is CO with 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, MP1 calls $6, MP2 calls $6, MP3 calls $6, Hero calls $6, Button calls $6, BB checks.

Flop: ($33) 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(7 players)</font>
SB checks, jbjb(anb) checks, MP1 checks, MP2 checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP3 bets $18</font>, Hero calls $18, Button calls $18, SB folds, BB calls $18, MP1 folds, MP2 folds.

Turn: ($105) 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
BB checks, MP3 checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $96, Button calls $96</font>, BB folds, MP3 folds.

River: ($297) 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $150</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises to $498.4</font>, Hero folds.

Final Pot: $849.40
Old 02-19-2005, 06:24 AM

Default Re: Standard?

in this game (which I've never played) what would a flop raise be interpreted as?

fim
Old 02-19-2005, 06:27 AM

I had been playing pretty tight so a raise would be seen as a powerful hand. The flop bettor I didn't figure for much of anything, he'd been doing weird things all night (1/3 pot bet on river when board pairs low card with absolutely nothing).
Old 02-19-2005, 06:36 AM

so a strong raise would be interpreted as a made hand stronger than TPMK? In general, would a player holding something like 45[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] make a strong move at this pot given the preflop action?

fim

edit: the reason I'm asking all of this is that I would almost always raise the flop here with Ax[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], spade draw with some straight possibilities or a set. I'm coming from a prima 2.5/5 6max viewpoint here and looking at it that way, I'm curious as to why you didn't raise the flop given the preflop action.

fim
Old 02-19-2005, 12:45 PM

Didn't raise because I thought calling was a higher +EV move. If a spade comes on turn I don't mind dumping to a big bet or I can call drawing to a FH. If 7s comes I'm golden. If brick comes there is still a lot of money in from overcalls on flop.
Old 02-19-2005, 12:46 PM

As fimbul is getting at I don't see what is wrong with raise flop here. It just looks like an aggressive play over what can be a bs bet like you figured. I like a line that is more aggressive on the flop here and then I like staying aggressive vs any callers who are "determined to keep me honest." I think an aggressive line can force the flush draw out while keep the ace in. At least by the turn since implied odds on the flush draw rely on having more money in the stack and if you take a more aggressive approach then with these stack sizes you can force them to pretty much put it all in with that flush draw on the turn or fold it.
Old 02-19-2005, 09:03 PM

you have a big pot hand with good position on a coordinated board - so build the pot! but in a good raise on the flop, and assuming a brick on the turn, then pot-committ yourself and don't give implied odds to a flush draw.

as played, that's a good spot for a bluff raise if that person's capable, so then I'd check call a reasonable bet. Just comes down to a read, probably a good fold.
Old 02-19-2005, 09:35 PM

I'd raise this flop barring speific reads on the players. The rest looks straigthforward to me though the river is a little tricky. YOu are close to pot comitted but the less you bet the less you can be sure of folding to a raise by him. The line you took looks okay though, and calling the flop doesn't seem bad to me eiter
Old 02-19-2005, 09:57 PM

I have an idea but I don't know if any of you are going to like it. If you are willing to bet 150 and fold to a raise, why not check/call. If he does indeed have the flush, how much do you think he bets this river? More than 150? Probably not. Just a thought...