Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-07-2005, 05:02 AM

Default Anyone ever futz around with serious educational poker PC games?

Anyone with a poker PC game like or recommend the game they are playing? Are these things worth it? They are obviously more interactive than books, so it might be good for those who "learn while doing."

How about "World class poker with TJ Cloutier" or that one that's sometimes advertised on the top of the page, "Poker academy pro"?
Old 09-07-2005, 07:25 AM

Default Re: Anyone ever futz around with serious educational poker PC games?

I've played with Poker Academy Pro, and wasn't impressed.
Old 09-07-2005, 08:05 AM

Turbo Texas Holdem is okay, but it's advice via 'Sidewinder Sid' is not entirely spot on, it berates you for plays I would consider entirely conventional - eg stuff like playing A-rag suited late with 3 callers - but good enough for beginners.

I go back to this is my card sense goes a little awry (ie QJoff starts looking good early in a 10-handed game), and it's a good, fast way to refresh your holdem card sense (you can 'zip' through hands you fold, so get several hundred hands in in a few hours against different table types (tight , loose, mixed, etc)
Old 09-07-2005, 10:57 AM

I'm teaching my girlfriend right now, and wilson turbo texas holdem is a big help. I don't really use the advice feature, but it lets you play a ten handed game with loose passive, loose aggressive, tight passive, tight aggressive players.

I think this is great for teaching. I tried teaching while playing .50/1 on party, but 30 seconds isn't enough time when you're trying to explain the thought process you should be going thru.

I thought wilson's was great for this.

Of course, this was just for playing hands. I was still teaching her, I dont know how it would be to try and learn from Wilson's advice, I know there were a decent number of times i told her something other than wilsons advice.