Did Bonds deserve the NL MVP?

Does anyone care?

-Zeno
Old 11-16-2004, 11:39 PM

Default Re: Valdimir Gerrero Gets the Nod

[ QUOTE ]
Does anyone care?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think the fact that you had to ask this answers the question for you.
Old 11-16-2004, 11:47 PM

Default Re: Valdimir Guerrero Gets the Nod

Does he deserve it?

Yes.

Without a doubt.

GoT
Old 11-17-2004, 12:03 AM

They should just do everyone a favor and rename it "Player with the best stats."

Much like the Heisman trophy should be renamed "Best QB/RB on the best team."

-AA
Old 11-17-2004, 12:32 AM

Yes, he deserves it. I had favored Manny up until the final month, when Vlad virtually single-handedly drove his team into the playoffs. I too would have voted Manny for 2nd place and Sheffield 3rd.

Yes, Bonds deserved the NL MVP. I too would have voted Beltre for 2nd place and Pujols 3rd.

I care.

I see George Steinbrenner met with Pedro Martinez today. A meeting of two more despicable individuals hasn't taken place since Hitler met with Stalin. OK, I jest. But only slightly. I wonder what Pedro opened with. One imagines he asked George, "Do you want to be my daddy?" [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 11-17-2004, 12:53 AM

Well we discussed the MVP thing today and as you know I was a little disappointed that Bonds got the award, personally I would like to have seen Beltre get it (you have to understand that I'm a Dodger fan!), so I guess that I care.

I see George Steinbrenner met with Pedro Martinez today. A meeting of two more despicable individuals hasn't taken place since Hitler met with Stalin. OK, I jest. But only slightly

Come on Andy, I bet you know more than two Commerce players, who sit at the same table on almost a daily basis, that are just as (if not more) despicable than Pedro or Steinbrenner.

On a somewhat off subject note, about 10 years ago, when my son was in high school, the school brought in Stalin's translator to give a talk to the school. Apparently he was the only person still alive to have spoken to both of these individuals - Hitler and Stalin. As you can imagine his comments on the both of them was not flattering.

Jim
Old 11-17-2004, 12:57 AM

I also scanned the reports about Pedro and George exchanging mild banter and intellectual pleasantries. The discussion was, I'm sure, of the highest caliber - money wise that is.

I do recall you mentioning about Manny vs. Vladimir in some long ago baseball post in the pre second-term Bush Era. It all seems so long ago and far away for some reason.

Your points are pithy and right on as usual. I also think Vladimir deserved to Win. I could quibble a bit about Bonds but my baseball acumen is not up to par with the baseball giants the purse this forum. He probably did deserve to win also. The MVP Award, afterall, is not parsed out on looks or personality or lack of swagger or, etc and etc.

-Zeno
Old 11-17-2004, 05:07 AM

Im with GoT on this one. Barry Bonds is undoubtably the best hitter ever. He is unstoppable, you either pitch to him and he hits it into McCovey cove, or you walk him, he gets on base, does a little dominating, and score, OR he just DOMINATES overall, and is clearly the MVP.
Old 11-17-2004, 08:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]

They should just do everyone a favor and rename it "Player with the best stats."

-AA

[/ QUOTE ]

Except one year where ESPN decided it would be cool if some DB won the award when he only touched the ball about 40 times all year, robbing Peyton Manning of the award he truly deserved.

Yes I am a University of Tennessee fan, and no I am not bitter. Okay maybe a little bit, but I will get over it.
Old 11-17-2004, 10:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

-AA

[/ QUOTE ]

Except one year where ESPN decided it would be cool if some DB won the award when he only touched the ball about 40 times all year, robbing Peyton Manning of the award he truly deserved.

Yes I am a University of Tennessee fan, and no I am not bitter. Okay maybe a little bit, but I will get over it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Peyton's problems in college are the same as in pros: Can't win the big game.

But yeah, Woodson's heisman was a sham. Thier argument was that he played defense, offense, and special teams. Yet Champ Bailey for UGA, the VERY NEXT YEAR had more receptions than Woodson, better punt return average, and I think better D stats. Yet you didn't hear his name at all.

Don't even get me started on ESPN or as I call it the Boston city newspaper.

-AA