Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-29-2004, 05:02 AM

Default Possible 2+2 UK Meetup?

Want to start by saying I have no links to this event exept for the fact I have signed up for it and I think its a very good cause.

On August 28th there is Tournament near Newcastle for the North East Charity Shield, its a £25 buy in event with £10 rebuys for the first 1.5 hours. $2000 has been added to the prizepool but 50% of the buy ins goto the charity.

I think it could be a good chance for the UK 2+2 lot to meet up, small buy in tournie, seems like past years events have been good fun with some pros turning up as well, and then a good night out on the beer around Newcastle with some traditional after drink north east quisine of a curry. There is also a normal cheap event on at the Grovesner in Newcastle on a Friday night for anyone wanting to make a full weekend of it.

I live about 30 minutes from where the event is and can find lots of cheap accommodation and then offer lifts up to the event (or if lots of people organise a cheap minibus)

Newcastle does have an airport and there are generally cheap flights available from Heathrow and Stanstead, I think flights from Dublin are cheap if the Irsish want to join in.

Thought I would float this as an idea as I dont think the event has got much publicity and I think its a good chance for us UK lot to play a bit poker and have a bit of a drink together.

Link to the event official website and also to past years reviews.

http://www.poker4charity.org/necs2004

and to previous years write ups

http://www.gutshot.co.uk/article.php?6

http://www.gutshot.co.uk/article.php?7
Old 06-29-2004, 06:03 AM

Default Re: Possible 2+2 UK Meetup?

I am intrested but getting from cornwall to the land of first generation thumbs/no tails will cost a fortune.

If there are flights from Newquay I could do that and feel like a high roller at the same time.

What part of Newcastle do you live in and whats the drinking/curry sit rep like near you.
Old 06-29-2004, 08:24 AM

The deep reaches of the south are a mystery to me but there are direct flights from Southampton which is in your neck of the woods.

www.newcastle-airport.co.uk gives the schedules and stuff.

I live in a place called South Shields half an hour from Central Newcastle and a decent night out on its own, but would suggest a night in Newcastle which as I have said is rated I think it was by FHM a top ten places in the world for a night out, along with Sydney amonst others.

Then back to Shields for a curry, we have a street called Ocean Road (Shields is on the coast) which has literally 20 curry houses all in a row, most of them are of a good standard and food is pretty cheap. Advantage is there are a load of B&B's opposate (probably £30-£40 a night) there as well so, play poker get pissed have a meal then roll into bed.
Old 06-29-2004, 08:27 AM

Seems like a good idea, though I'd want it to be a more major event or in the London area to come along. Good luck with it though, hope it goes well.