Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-18-2004, 08:48 PM

Default Bubble Raises

There is lots of discussion here about aggressive play on the bubble. Many advocate (and I have come to agree) that bubble time is a good time to raise pre-flop, on the theory that your opponents will have tightened up their calling requirments in order not to bust out.

There are, obviously, two types of raises: all-in and something less. People have different philosphies about when the all-in makes sense, but I am interested in the second category: the moderate raise (3-4xbb) against no previous limps where you are (a) hoping to steal but (b) willing to get called and see the flop but (c) will fold to a substantial re-raise. What types of hands, if any, do people think it is appropriate to play this way?

To keep things simple let's assume that all remaining players have approximately the same size stack. I'm not talking about the situation where you have everyone covered and can just pound on people.

To stimulate discussion, let me throw out some possible hands for comment:

AJs
A9o
A2s
KTo
Q9s
JTs
78s

These are all hands that I have seen played this way. I have also seen all of them folded and some of them pushed. What do people think?

A final thought: does anyone advocate that the answer to my question is "any 2", on the theory that the point of the raise is to steal and that you are probably not going to continue unless (a) you hit the flop or (b) the flop is such that your opponent probably missed and acts in a way that suggests he/she will not continue.