Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-30-2005, 01:24 PM

Default October \'Take a Shot\' Challenge

After reading and digesting Grunchcan's "take a shot at a higher level" theory here , I have decided that for each session in October I will play at least 1 table (I usually multi 4 or 5) above my current level which is NL $100.

The plan is to start with 1 NL $200 table and build up enough to take a shot at NL $400 where I will try to build up for a shot at NL $1000. (I will use Grunchcan's guide of 2 buy-ins to determine when I can take a shot at the next level)

Of course losing my 'designated' take a shot bankroll will force me to go back to 1 NL $200 table. My goal is to have taken at least 2 shots at NL $400 before the end of the month. One shot at NL $1000 will be considered icing on the cake.

Anyone else interested? I will try to post weekly updates (I play mostly on weekends) on the off chance that anyone cares.

Thanks for the idea Grunch [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 09-30-2005, 01:31 PM

Default Re: October \'Take a Shot\' Challenge

Im in. I had a eurobet account I forgot i left $100 in that I started playing last week. I built it up to $330 playing the 25's and 50's and decided last night that I am going to take a shot playing the 100s with the money in that account. I have dabbled in the 100s before briefly but I hope to make a transition soon.
Old 09-30-2005, 01:55 PM

Hey, alright! I'm in.

One thing I guess I should point out. In order to take a shot at a higher level and not be in danger of decimating your roll, you really need to have a full bankroll for your original limit in addition to your shot-taking mini-roll. Otherwise you're taking a shot with your main roll, and that's a bad idea.
Old 09-30-2005, 02:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Hey, alright! I'm in.

One thing I guess I should point out. In order to take a shot at a higher level and not be in danger of decimating your roll, you really need to have a full bankroll for your original limit in addition to your shot-taking mini-roll. Otherwise you're taking a shot with your main roll, and that's a bad idea.

[/ QUOTE ]

Absolutely agree. we definitely do not want to hear any "How I Lost My Entire Bankroll on a Stupid Gimmick" stories.

I am actually rolled to play NL $200, but have hesitated moving up because the NL $100 level is so easy (TWP will rightfully scold me for this I'm sure.) Hopefully this challenge will be successful and I will be able to ease into the $200 level with my sights set on $400. Of course, this could also prove that I've reached my level of incompetence at the $100 level [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 09-30-2005, 02:18 PM

I am also rolled for my take a shot limit as well so it could work out well. Hopefully I have enough time this weekend to get some hands in, school and work have been killing me lately.
Old 09-30-2005, 02:27 PM

I currently have 2,000 BB at the $0.25-$0.50 NL level. i will take my shot when I hit 3,000 BB [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 09-30-2005, 02:45 PM

Just move up you pansy. If I can drop 7 buys in a week at NL400 you can also. You can always make it back by raping that easy peasy NL200 game. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 09-30-2005, 02:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Just move up you pansy. If I can drop 7 buys in a week at NL400 you can also. You can always make it back by raping that easy peasy NL200 game. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

soon TWP, I will be after you in the 400s. I'm hot on your trail, my man.
Old 09-30-2005, 02:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Tell me what it's like when you get there because I've taken two failed shots and am still playing NL200. Have I mentioned that I suck at poker? I am great, however, at the poker sub-game of losing flush over flush, set over set, and to 2-4 outers on the river. Waaaa waaaa waaaaa.
Old 09-30-2005, 02:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Tell me what it's like when you get there because I've taken two failed shots and am still playing NL200. Have I mentioned that I suck at poker? I am great, however, at the poker sub-game of losing flush over flush, set over set, and to 2-4 outers on the river. Waaaa waaaa waaaaa.

[/ QUOTE ]

I am going conservative so I'll move up to 400s when I have 10K. I'm near 8k now.