Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-16-2005, 03:22 PM

Default A 2/4 hand for btspider

I played this hand the other day, and although I made some questionable decisions I think it was well played. This table was loose and passive in general - I was alarmed at the difference between this and a typical 3/6 table. That explains my preflop call, since I knew no one was raising without the goods and I could dump it if I missed. Even the worst case where I paired my king and got called down probably only means I will get outkicked around half the time. So yes I know K8s is marginal even in position, but I thought I could handle it. More interesting to the 2/4 crowd is probably betting draws aggressively against passive opponents and my sneaky river check/raise.

Both opponents that came to the river are loose. I've noticed UTG+1 as calling down all the time - he's a stereotypical desirable opponent. I hadn't paid much attention to CO, but pokertracker assured me he was a petit poisson as well.

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (9 handed) converter

Preflop: Son of a Gun is UTG with K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
Son of a Gun calls, UTG+1 calls, MP1 calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, CO calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, SB completes, BB checks.

Flop: (6 SB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(6 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Son of a Gun bets</font>, UTG+1 calls, MP1 folds, CO folds, SB calls, BB calls.
<font color="#6611ff">I count around 8 outs, so I bet my hand accordingly. I once planned on check/raising a field of seven here to pump my flush draw and it got checked through. I'm not letting that happen again.</font>

Turn: (5 BB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Son of a Gun bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 raises</font>, SB calls, BB folds, Son of a Gun calls.
<font color="#6611ff">UTG+1's raise tells me I am at best chopping. With a fourth player in the pot would I have been right to make it 3-bets?</font>

River: (11 BB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, Son of a Gun checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 bets</font>, SB calls, <font color="#CC3333">Son of a Gun raises</font>, UTG+1 calls, SB calls.
<font color="#6611ff">I want to get another bet from CO, but I'm worried he won't call two cold if UTG+1 raises me. And if UTG+1 doesn't raise me, I don't get to 3-bet him to make up for losing CO. So I go for a check/raise to get 2 from each of them.</font>

Final Pot: 17 BB

Discuss.
Old 03-16-2005, 03:28 PM

Default Re: A 2/4 hand for btspider

Still don't like your pre-flop call, and I'm definitely 3-betting the turn. The river check-raise was risky but I guess worth it with the opportunity to trap a player.
Old 03-16-2005, 03:32 PM

Ok, here's another "fold pf" from me. I think I'm right this time, too.

3-bet the turn, you're last to act.

Your River c/r sucks. Just bet out and hope it gets raised.
Old 03-16-2005, 03:32 PM

Oh and you don't want btspiders' help. He sucks.

[img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 03-16-2005, 03:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Still don't like your pre-flop call, and I'm definitely 3-betting the turn. The river check-raise was risky but I guess worth it with the opportunity to trap a player.

[/ QUOTE ]

given the turn action, check-raise the river everytime. but definitely 3-bet the turn since you are often free-rolling the other guy.

too late shad's.. actually its in response to the SS poll saying maybe some 2/4 hands should be posted here.
Old 03-16-2005, 03:36 PM

I don't mind the pf call if you really thought the table was passive.

I wouldn't have bet that flop. You probably don't have the best hand and your equity egde is slim. None of your outs are to the nuts opening you up to redraws. You really don't want this coming back two bets to you.

I think you should have reraised the turn. That was the perfect card for you. You might be chopping but you also might catch a river spade (like you did). You are practically freerolling here. All you have to worry about is the nut flush or oddly played 89.

I just bet the river. It would serioulsy suck for that to get checked through. C/Ring effectively forces villian to call. Betting out might encourage him to raise whereby you can 3-bet.