Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-08-2005, 12:40 PM

Default Amnesty International Unhinged

First they compare the camp at Gitmo to the Gulag, which no matter what you think about Gitmo it pales in comparison to that system. Now they this banner on their page at their news page.

[image]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v466/prowlerslim/ai.bmp[/image]

EDIT: Looks like they took it down...interesting. Not sure why my picture isnt working either.

EDIT2: Banner is back up. Check it out at news.amnesty.org
Old 06-08-2005, 01:04 PM

Default Re: Amnesty International Unhinged

If only AI would be as critical of the real gulags operating on the other side of the Island run by Mr. Castro. Sure, they will criticize Castro on occasion, but Mr. Schultz seems to put so much more energy in attacking the United States. After all, Amnesty International is a totally non-partisan organization (wink, wink).

Here is a must read on this comparison between Gitmo and gulags.

http://www.townhall.com/columnists/d...20050607.shtml
Old 06-08-2005, 03:31 PM

So the defense for Gitmo is "Our Gulags aren't as bad as the other guy's Gulags"?
Old 06-08-2005, 03:32 PM

What banner?

In any event, the secrecy surrounding Gitmo, the lack of human rights (apparently) afforded the prisoners, the secrecy of the various US run prisons around the world -- smack of the Gulag. Of course, I know more about the Gulag (by reading Solzenhitzen some 20 plus years ago) than we know about Gitmo (and you go out and defend this, allegedly, transparent government).

Shine the light in the dark corners of Gitmo!
Old 06-08-2005, 03:37 PM

AFAIK (I am not 100% sure if others have done it too) there are 3 independent non-US organisations that have investigated Guantanamo:

-International Red Cross
-Amnesty International
-Human Rights Watch

They have all reached the conclusion that human rights are violated. WTF should those 3 have any reason to make that up?
Old 06-08-2005, 03:39 PM

Obviously the International Red Cross is run by liberal commies.
Old 06-08-2005, 03:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
So the defense for Gitmo is "Our Gulags aren't as bad as the other guy's Gulags"?

[/ QUOTE ]

Um..yes. When you compare a system that resulted in a few million deaths vs. a system where a few hundred have been held, some of those unjustly...well...you cannot compare the two. Not saying it is a defense, I am saying you don't compare a holocaust in the Soviet Union to Gitmo. Anne Applebaum of the Washington Post has a good article on this as well. She wrote a book about the gulags. She knows what a real gulag is.
Old 06-08-2005, 03:45 PM

I find it odd; the people who are more offended by someone comparing Guantanamo to a Gulag then the fact that their government has tortured people to death, denied people their rights, act secretively, etc.

I really have trouble putting myself into the heads of these people.

I would guess these are the same people who thought that the Newsweek author should have been given the death penalty for writing the story about Koran abuse.

Then, when it turns out he was right, the change their tact to belittling the fact that people find this offensive.

When its pointed out that the US government HAS abused prisoners (and appear to have tortured to death an innocent man)... they essentially say, "sh*t happens." Nothing to be upset about here.

They save their outrage for groups like Amnesty International who make unpleasant metaphors. THAT'S something to get worked up about!
Old 06-08-2005, 03:46 PM

If Amnesty International is such an unreliable source, why did the Bush administration repeatedly cite its reports as justification for the war in Iraq?

"We know that it’s a repressive regime…Anyone who has read Amnesty International or any of the human rights organizations about how the regime of Saddam Hussein treats his people…"

(March 27, 2003)

"…[I]t seems to me a careful reading of Amnesty International or the record of Saddam Hussein, having used chemical weapons on his own people as well as his neighbors, and the viciousness of that regime, which is well known and documented by human rights organizations, ought not to be surprised."

(March 28, 2003)

"[I]f you read the various human rights groups and Amnesty International’s description of what they know has gone on, it’s not a happy picture."

(April 1, 2003)

(In the interest of disclosure, the source for all three quotes is the ultra-liberal Department of Defense web site.)

I suppose that theocons will say that Amnesty International has only recently become "unhinged." I think a more likely explanation is that the Bush administration cherry picks information to support its policies.
Old 06-08-2005, 03:47 PM

I would like to submit there should be nothing that even resembles a "good gulag" in AMERICA, or anywhere, run by AMERICIANS.