Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-04-2005, 10:10 AM

Default Help with short-handed play at Absolute (general stuff)

Starting today I'm going to begin regularly posting some hands to the HUSH forum. But beyond that, I think the problems I face may be more general and fundamental.

Over the past month or two, I've been pretty successful playing in the short 2/4 and 3/6 games on Absolute Poker. Calling down aggro players who bet each street with ace-high, stealing blinds and picking pots up on the flop. I've been raising from the CO with hands like T8s and 22 and A3 ...

What worked in the past has become less effective. Absolute's table selection is relatively slim, and you see the same good players all the time. I think I've been pegged as a LAG, if not a straight out fish. Hands have become more aggressive when it's me and another regular, except I find myself gunshy on the later streets.

I think one thing I need to do more of is avoid the better players. That shouldn't be hard to do, but there's a lot of three- and four-handed play. I also need to adjust better when a table fills from three- to six-handed.

I don't really want to give out my screen name, because you see the same people all the time, though maybe that's just silly on my part. Any general thoughts on the state of the games there and adjusting?

My frustrations may also be variance -- the beats have been tough lately, though the aggression from better players is consistent.

Open to any thoughts or comments, esp. people who play there...

Also, I'm not a big stat guy but is anyone willing to look at some VPIP and all that I've got?

ElSapo
Old 11-04-2005, 10:14 AM

Default Re: Help with short-handed play at Absolute (general stuff)

I definitely think you should post some hands.

What kind of table stats are you seeing?
Old 11-04-2005, 10:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]
What kind of table stats are you seeing?

[/ QUOTE ]

From this morning - this represents maybe two good tables and one bad one -

455 hands
298 hands where there was a flop
average of 4 players
37.68% avg. saw flop

My VPIP was 30.77
Old 11-04-2005, 10:56 AM

I play the 2/4 and 3/6 short at Absolute so maybe I know you. But anyway, not sure how long you've been playing there, but the tables are getting worse. Table selection is key to winning now. 3 or 4 months ago you could find lots of 50/4 players, now most are 30/15. So, I suggest making very good table/seat selection. The 50/4's are still there, just harder to find.

It is frustrating, but what I have been doing is getting away from situations where I am at a table with only 1 or 2 others and they are very agg. I have to change tables a lot, but it is worth it.

If you want to PM me your handle, I can give you an idea if I have played with you or not. Not sure what times you play as I play mostly in the evenings.
Old 11-04-2005, 11:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I play the 2/4 and 3/6 short at Absolute so maybe I know you. But anyway, not sure how long you've been playing there, but the tables are getting worse. Table selection is key to winning now. 3 or 4 months ago you could find lots of 50/4 players, now most are 30/15. So, I suggest making very good table/seat selection. The 50/4's are still there, just harder to find.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's the aggression factor making it tough for me, I think. But that's just standard maybe.

I have a hard time telling if the games have shifted that much b/c a lot of my play has moved from evening to morning-afternoon and I think the games are tougher.
Old 11-04-2005, 11:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]
It's the aggression factor making it tough for me, I think. But that's just standard maybe.

I have a hard time telling if the games have shifted that much b/c a lot of my play has moved from evening to morning-afternoon and I think the games are tougher.

[/ QUOTE ]

I can't speak for the morning or afternoon games, but the evening games are pretty decent.

Are you only sitting at 6max tables. One thing I like to do is sit at a full table while there is only 2 or 3 players there, they seem to be less agg. Also, if it's the aggression that is bothering you, mix in a table or 2 of full. The 2/4 full tables are weak/tight. Just steal the blinds.

When I have an over aggressive player that I have a read on, I call down more vs raising. This seems to be a good strategy. Don't get caught up raising and reraising.

Hope that helps some.
Old 11-04-2005, 06:03 PM

I don't play very often, but these games are worse than they were in that 9 months ago when I played them, they used to be pretty good, and now they're just sort of below average but probably still worth playing for $10/100 hands. I see the same TAG players all the time I check the lists with 45% or so to the flops and $16 avg pot at 2/4, and I have only played 12k hands total there in the last year.
Old 11-04-2005, 06:18 PM

I agree that table selection is key. Even more key is seat selection. It is my perception that choosing the wrong seat in the 2/4 shorthanded games can cause a big swing in your performance. I sent you a PM in case you want to compare notes. I am curious how I am perceived. My guess is LAG.
Old 11-04-2005, 06:42 PM

I was interested in the same thing.
Old 11-04-2005, 06:53 PM

You are interested in how I am perceived or how you are perceived? Or maybe this was a joke post?

Don't you play at higher limits than me?