Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-01-2005, 11:23 AM

Default Early stage aggression

I've been trying to play much more aggressively in the early stages of MTT's in an attempt to accumulate chips early. Is this too much?

10+1 Party MTT NL Holdem. Blinds 10/20 w/ around 2000 players left. No big stacks at table. Hero is in LP w/ pocket Queens and approximately 1000 in chips. I have played only one hand so far.

UTG (t1100) raises to 100.
MP1 (t1200) calls.
Hero in LP reraises 900 all-in.

Too aggressive? If so, what spots do you look for to double up early? Or should I not be so dead set in doubling early and play more conservatively?
Old 12-01-2005, 11:31 AM

Default Re: Early stage aggression

All depends on the table. If there are a few seated ready to gambOOL, go ahead. Just have a few extra buy ins ready and be prepeared for some suckouts. Dont go yelling how can you call with that when 4,3s knocks you about. Or when the table comes alive and your AA push gets 6 callers

Stokken
Old 12-01-2005, 11:34 AM

doubling up? you may get no callers. use a standard reraise and outplay them postflop. Be able to lay down to a scary board.
Old 12-01-2005, 12:38 PM

Good advice. As it played out, button called all in as did UTG. UTG had Ad Jd and Button had Ac 4c. I was completely surprised by their plays, but wouldn't you know it, the flop had the other two aces in it but UTG won the entire pot with a flush.
Old 12-01-2005, 06:05 PM

I say re-raise up to about 300-400 and push any non A-high flop.