Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-09-2005, 09:23 PM

Default NEPC hand....

Played on day 1. Did fairly well going into the dinner break with T26000. Get moved to a much tougher table with multiple large stacks. I fold for a while through levels 7-8 (blinds 150-300 and 200-400) and lose a pot to a shortstack with AQ vs 1010 on the flop of A-10-2. I picked up virtually no hands at this table and after a few steals gone awry pick up this hand at the beginning of level 9.

I am T12,000 in MP with blinds of 300-600 and 100 ante on a 9 handed table. UTG limps, UTG+1 raises to 3500 (approx. 12,000 behind). I look down to AQs (hearts). What is the correct play here? Do I have any folding equity with a push, is a call correct?

Take into consideration the fact that only 2 more levels were to be played on friday and that going into sunday with a stack below T15,000 seemed virtually worthless and my cards for the past 3 hours had been deader than dead. Post respones please.
Old 04-09-2005, 09:43 PM

Default Re: NEPC hand....

[ QUOTE ]
Take into consideration the fact that only 2 more levels were to be played on friday and that going into sunday with a stack below T15,000 seemed virtually worthless

[/ QUOTE ]

It's not.

[ QUOTE ]
and my cards for the past 3 hours had been deader than dead.

[/ QUOTE ]

That doesn't matter.

It's a 5K tournament. If you're not gonna be patient now, what stakes will it take to play your best?
Old 04-09-2005, 09:54 PM

Don't be fooled 15K is fine.
Two double ups and you are the chip leader.

In the 500 NLHE I was very low from bubble time until we got down to 27. Kept fighting and clawing. Once we got to 18, I started moving well. By the time we adjourned for the final table the next day, I was surprised to see I was chip leader.

Don't give up!
Have a positive attitude.
W/ that said GL, and stay out of my pots tomorrow.

Pete
Old 04-09-2005, 09:58 PM

unless UTG+1 has gotten way out of line, this is an easy pass.

EP raise after UTG limp is a pretty big sign of strength. i'd say you're way behind about 75% of the time, and almost never way ahead. your fold equity is right around 0.
Old 04-09-2005, 11:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
unless UTG+1 has gotten way out of line, this is an easy pass.

EP raise after UTG limp is a pretty big sign of strength. i'd say you're way behind about 75% of the time, and almost never way ahead. your fold equity is right around 0.

[/ QUOTE ]

i'd agree with just about everything here except that his fold equity isn't 0. He likely has some fold equity, but just not enough to make up for the times that he's up against AK or QQ.
Old 04-09-2005, 11:38 PM

He is in EP, the only raise you can manage is a push, I would say lay it down. Wait for a better spot! Stay patient, getting antsy in your pantsy is not good poker.
Old 04-10-2005, 01:17 PM

Ok, I understand this was a very marginal spot to risk the tournament. What if I had put the UTG raiser on a steal (which I did) as he bet about 20% of his stack (which was an odd bet for him) and looked like he didnt want to commit his whole stack.

Therefore, after thinking for a short time I pushed for 12k. Folded back to the initial raiser as I predicted.
5 minutes later, he is torn on a decision. Pot is at T17,500 and he has to call 9k more. Thoughts?
Old 04-10-2005, 01:47 PM

Thoughts? I think he had JJ-QQ, but I'm feeling more QQ here. Did he show?
Old 04-10-2005, 01:53 PM

I do believe you are getting him to lay down 99-JJ here. Probably not the best push, but with your read it isn't horrible.

WJ
Old 04-10-2005, 02:00 PM

Just my take...

While there is a chance he was stealing, he showed strength with his bet, but doesn't really want action. He doesn't know that he wants to commit such a large portion of his stack so late in the day.

From your description, I would put him on a medium strength PP, you have fold equity with 99 and lower. I think he makes a crying call with 10 10 or JJ, and is somewhat happy when he sees you are just on a resteal with two overs.

He could even be contemplating a crying call with AK, but I can't see him calling with any hands that you are ahead of.