Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-05-2005, 05:34 PM

Default Cold calls everything, then raises on river

3-6 HE live. Table is loose/passive.

I am in the BB and 5 people have limped in. I have 6 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 7 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] and check. 4 small bets in the pot after the drop.

Flop is 4 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 5 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 8 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. I bet out with the nut straight. EP1 raises, EP2 calls, fold to me. I know I have the best hand at this point and want them to put money in the pot, so I three bet. They both call. At this point I assume that one of them has the nut flush draw and the other has top pair, two pair (4's and 5's), or set.

(6.5 big bets in the pot). Turn is 8 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. I bet, EP1 raises, EP2 calls, I call. Should I have three bet again to gain some information while I hold the nut straight? I am worried about a fullhouse now and am pretty sure that if EP1 caps, I can release my hand.

(12.5 big bets in the pot). River is J [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. I check, EP1 bets, EP2 raises. What is my play here? When EP2 raised, EP1 said "Oh, [censored]." I am worried about EP2 cold calling everything and then raising on the river. With 15.5 big bets in the pot and two bets for me to call, should I? I do not fear a reraise by EP1 based on his comment.
Old 08-05-2005, 05:54 PM

Default Re: Cold calls everything, then raises on river

Definitely 3-bet the turn. The rest of the hand is easier to play from there. On the river, I would make a very unhappy call.
Old 08-05-2005, 05:57 PM

Well I think its clear ep1 has an eight but ep2 could also have an eight or you could be chopping. I would call I think your good here often enough. I also would have three bet the turn.
Old 08-05-2005, 06:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
(6.5 big bets in the pot). Turn is 8 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. I bet, EP1 raises, EP2 calls, I call. Should I have three bet again to gain some information while I hold the nut straight? I am worried about a fullhouse now and am pretty sure that if EP1 caps, I can release my hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd stop the action at this point if you have a question. The way the hand played out, it's obvious EP1 didn't have a FH, which may color the turn analysis.

That having been said, I cringed (I'll leave the obligatory "threw up in my mouth a little" to someone else) when I read your reason for not 3-betting. It's WAY too early to fear the full house, and you absolutely cannot fold if he caps unless you have a rock solid read that this guy is an uber rock.