Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-30-2005, 05:36 PM

Default 20-40 live. Raising K8s on the button

live 20-40 (canadian).

Mp2 is too a little too loose, and cold calls more than she should. Postflop is usually ok, but again may chase draws with odds that don't justify her chasing.

Mp3 - Basically a little loose but I havn't really seen him get out of line, though he has cold called probably 3 times in the hour and half he has been sitting.

everyone folds but these 2. Blinds are also a little to loosey, but are very tight and mostly passive postflop.

I raised K8s on the button. Given the situation how was it?
In general, how is?
Old 01-31-2005, 09:28 PM

Default Re: 20-40 live. Raising K8s on the button

bump
Old 02-01-2005, 12:18 AM

im glad that you posted this, because this is something that ive been trying to draw my own conclusions on. i think there is an underlying question on whether or not to raise this preflop, and that is whether getting the dead money from the blinds in the middle, while keeping the aggression on is worth sacrificing the implied odds you gain from outplaying the villains. you are playing your hand for implied odds and position, as in general your hand is a mathematical underdog. by raising, you are putting more money in preflop with poor pot odds, in an attempt to take control of the pot. your hand plays fairly well multiway, but i think the chance of adding dead money to the pot makes up for the times when you are at a small mathematical disadvantage. most players on this forum dont have a firm logical grasp on this concept, but i hope that thes ones who do will respond. clarkmeister probably understands this concept better than anyone.
Old 02-01-2005, 12:35 AM

This is the type of hand where you want lots of limpers and a cheap flop. I don't play it unless its a steal or I have 4 or more limpers, I especially wouldn't come in for a raise against a couple of calling stations.