Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-28-2003, 06:21 PM

Default crosspost - 2/4 plo hand played by devilfish on UB

Pre-flop:

areddodge4me9 folds. ynotgolf calls. Cass1e calls.
Devilfish calls. deadboy76 raises to $26. peasant
calls. broadstorm folds. ynotgolf calls. Cass1e
folds. Devilfish calls.

Flop (board: 9c Td 5d):

peasant bets $112. ynotgolf folds. Devilfish calls.
deadboy76 goes all-in for $546.50. peasant calls.

(to set some context, peasant paused for about 15 seconds before hitting call)

the action is on you, you're Devilfish holding 9s 9d 2h 7h. go all in or fold?
Old 07-28-2003, 09:57 PM

Default Re: crosspost - 2/4 plo hand played by devilfish on UB

Heh, well we know he didn't fold since you have his cards from the hand history! The question is did he win?

I'd say he figured that everyone was drawing to straights and nut flushes and that top set wasn't covered. If he's gonna call a raise preflop with 9927 then he's likely to play it with heavy action on the flop if he hits.

Jon
Old 07-28-2003, 10:05 PM

If it were my money, it would depend on my previous experience playing at this table with these players. However, unless the money represented a serious percentage of my bankroll i would call.

I suspect that he called and hit his 1 outer.

A question for you. When does Devilfish play on UB, and furthermore when do bigger PLO games (Besides o/8) run?

Thanks,

Old 07-29-2003, 06:13 AM

Why would you call?

I would have folded preflop, but supposing I was here... that big raise sure looks like trip tens to me. Am I too easily pushed off a pot? Someone has led out, been called and then raised. The original bettor thinks and calls, which looks like a big draw, so the raiser really looks like he has trips.

No?

Guy.
Old 07-29-2003, 10:45 AM

My best guess is that nobody has TTT, but that the preflop raiser has AA with the nut flush draw, and the other guy has a big straight draw. That being the case, in terms of EV, I suspect either calling or folding have about the same expectation for Devil.

When peasant calls the all-in, how much did he have? Was he calling all-in for a lot less, so Devil is looking at a big sidepot, or did he call without going all-in, and he and Devil both have significant money left to bet on the turn/river?

If Devil can win a big sidepot, then he probably figures himself to be a small favorite for the big sidepot, and a dog (but not too big a dog) for the main pot in which he has already invested a lot of the money.

Later, Greg Raymer (FossilMan)
Old 07-29-2003, 11:06 AM

Default results

good comments all around. they mostly agree with what i think.

peasant had about $10 left after calling the all in, and the pot was $1700, so his remaining stack was pretty much irrelevant.

at any rate, devilfish raised peasant's remaining $10, and the three hands were:

check-raiser: QJ8x with Q-high diamond draw
peasant: AKxx with nut diamond draw
devilfish: set of nines

devilfish spiked a 5 on the river to win a $1700 pot.

as for when he regularly plays, i really can't tell you. i just happened to notice that he was sitting at a 2/4 plo table yesterday (a 2/4 plo table is so rare on ub that you notice these sort of things)
Old 07-29-2003, 11:13 AM

I would have folded preflop as well. But I would assume that since Devilfish is a 'friend of UB' he is there to create action and not necessarily playing with his own money, but thats just speculation.

As to the hand, Why do you have to put him on trip 10's? His hand screams AA to me. If he got lucky with AATT or KKTT, then he's going to get my stack. I would put the big raiser on AA with the flush draw.

The real concern is peasant, but then I would think to the garbage hands he played in the WPT and assume he was a moron and put it in anyway. A sane player there could have any number of hands from a set (smaller or larger than yours), a decent wrap with a small flush draw.

As you know, PLO frequently has flops that noone is making a mistake by putting their entire stack in on the flop (or preflop), this looks like one of those situations to me.

I do suspect that the trip tens are out, but not do to the action as much of the tone of the orignal poster.

Old 07-30-2003, 05:59 AM

Why do you have to put him on trip 10's? His hand screams AA to me

Because I missed the fact that he was the preflop raiser.

Dear me I am making lots of mistakes on this board this week. Might hang up the keyboard for a few days.

Guy.