Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-25-2003, 07:23 AM

Default Crying calls...advice seeked

Here's a situation a lot of people have. I'm wondering about your experiences and how you handle it in general.

Suppose I have AQo, raise and get a few callers including one on the button and flop QJx with a spade flush draw.

Of course I bet, button raises on what appears to be a spade draw. I pop a reraise and he calls.

Now another spade appears I check call him down the river to see his Ax of spades for the spade flush. I was hoping he was betting on KQ or QJ or trying to bluff me out.

I've had numerous occasions where I'm looking at "death" or perhaps a straight. Who among you folds in these spots? Or do you think it's proper to call unless you know your opponents really well?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Garland
Old 12-25-2003, 07:56 AM

Default Re: Crying calls...advice seeked

Is seeked an acceptable alternative for sought?

Anyhow, it's tough to know when you're beat, and tough to concede a pot to a guy who may be bluffing. You pose a queston that is entirely opponent dependent. You need to know the guy well enough to lay your hand down before you fold what is likely the best hand. If you're out of position and he keeps on raising you then you may consider a turn fold, as you're drawing dead right here. If you think he's making a play, then by all means call him down.

In short: it depends.

~D
Old 12-25-2003, 10:26 AM

Bet out on the turn.

If he raises you, then provided he's a reasonable player you can fold without hesitation.

Think about the play so far. You raised preflop. you bet and reraised him on the flop. Now if he raises you again on the turn you're beat.

Now if he just calls, you have a decision on how to play the river.

-Scott
Old 12-25-2003, 12:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Bet out on the turn.

If he raises you, then provided he's a reasonable player you can fold without hesitation.

I hope you arent this easy to move off top pair top kicker. If i'm showing this hand down, I'll raise here a lot with kq and a big spade or something like that. But in general I guess if you 3 bet the flop and bet out on the turn, and he raises again and you dont have a spade in your hand, its a safe fold....Depends on the player you're playing against...Is this opponett capable of making a bluff/semi-bluff in this situation? But you have to bet out on the turn here. Especialy against 1 player. And a big pot. Many times this player might have a hand like k10 with an open ender and no spade and wont call the turn and hit when you make top 2. Ugly situation and one you should avoid by betting...