Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-09-2005, 06:37 AM

Default Any good Chinese recipes + Favorite Chinese food

k, I googled, but without any reliable reviews, I dont wanna sit here and make those recipes.

I love Chinese... could eat it every day, but that [censored] gets expensive. SO, I wanna know if any of you have good recipes for chinese food. So post them here, with reviews.

If there arent enough, I propose we pick a couple recipes and try cooking them.

Some of my favorites are Gen. Tso, Chicken With Broccoli, Fried or Steamed Dumplings, Orange and Sesame Chicken, and of course Lo Mein.

So tell me some recipes and some favorites, its time to expand culturally, OOT. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 11-09-2005, 07:18 AM

Default Re: Any good Chinese recipes + Favorite Chinese food

If anyone can hook me up with a good recipe for cooking some plain lo mein noodles, that'd be awesome. There's got to be something special to it, I've never gotten it to work at home. I can try some suggestions when I get back home next week if anyone has some to donate.
Old 11-09-2005, 07:22 AM

Absolutely. I think the most important thing in Chinese food is not the preparation (except for maybe dumplings) but in the sauce. I have not yet found a sauce in a store that tastes ANYTHING like it does in a restaurant.

help a brotha out!
Old 11-09-2005, 07:40 AM

The easiest way is to buy some instant sauce pouches. Go to your local Asian grocer and check out their sauce aisle. The most popular brand in Hong Kong is Lee Kum Kee. You can buy pouches like Curry Seafood, Black Bean Chicken, Black Pepper Beef, etc.

You are probably looking for ways to make the Americanized stuff though. I checked Lee Kum Kee's USA website and it looks like they also have instant sauces for Americanized dishes like Brocolli Beef, Kung Pao Chicken, Mongolian Beef, Mu Shu Chicken, etc that they sell here in the US.

Old 11-09-2005, 07:43 AM

Yeah, its what I grew up with, but I had a Chinese roommate (named Louie...huh) and he got me interested in the actual stuff. I went over there with him to visit his family..

god oh god do I miss the street vedors. Fried lizard is the [censored].

okay so an addendum: either americanized or traditional dishes are accepted, but please specify.

thanks.
Old 11-09-2005, 07:43 AM

I live in china, but it's the south so my experience is a bit tainted. There's lots thats good, personally I like hunan cuisine the best, basically plenty of hot red chillis (i think you call them peppers???), but southern food ofcourse dimsum is good, though difficult to make yourself. Toad is good, chicken foot is good. I'll try and get some nice hunan recipes from my gf as they are pretty easy to do yourself, usually involve pork, red pepper, tofu and some other stuff to make it tasty.
Old 11-09-2005, 07:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Absolutely. I think the most important thing in Chinese food is not the preparation (except for maybe dumplings) but in the sauce.

[/ QUOTE ]

One of the most important things in Chinese cooking is something called "wok hei." This refers to the hotness of the stove/wok while you are stir frying that adds a certain flavor and texture to the food. The skill of the cook is also important. You can only get this with a very very hot stove and a quality wok which is something you really only find in Chinese restaurants. Cant achieve it at home unfortunately... [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 11-09-2005, 07:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Absolutely. I think the most important thing in Chinese food is not the preparation (except for maybe dumplings) but in the sauce.

[/ QUOTE ]

One of the most important things in Chinese cooking is something called "wok hei." This refers to the hotness of the stove/wok while you are stir frying that adds a certain flavor and texture to the food. The skill of the cook is also important. You can only get this with a very very hot stove and a quality wok which is something you really only find in Chinese restaurants. Cant achieve it at home unfortunately... [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

That's disappointing. There has to be an OOT success story. We can pay people to eat butter, but we can't cook Chinese food at home? [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Old 11-09-2005, 08:40 AM

I feel the same way.

By our powers combined, we are captain OOT!! we can do it!

I think that just may be the most homosexual thing I've ever typed... but I guess I'll leave it.

so there's no way I can make chicken and broccoli? Thats not fried!
Old 11-09-2005, 08:46 AM

stop being a pussy and move to china for atleast 6 months.

problem solved.