Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-13-2004, 02:15 PM

Default Can u get away?

It was very well slow played by villain. He made small bets, no raise pre-flop, flopped a set of kings and waited in the dark. On river, I figured he could have had 2 pair, but then the raise made me think on a set, gladly he kindly showed the hand to erase my doubts after I folded.
If I had betted the flop I would probably have sensed something was wrong, but I was way to conservative
and that is where the psychology takes place cause two hands earlier I had QQ and raised pre flop 2 dollars (8 BB), got called by one guy, Flop came 37J, I betted pot, guy raised me all-in (he had 9 left), I called the 4. River was an A, The guy had raised me all-in with A2!!!
After losign a big pot, I decided to recover by slowplaying, Bad choice.
Just as a side note, 10 hands later I got AA, entered a pot with 3 people all-in, and finally got paid. It seems the long-run works well. lol

Ultimate Bet No-Limit Hold'em, $.25 BB (9 handed) converter

saw flop|<font color="C00000">saw showdown</font>

<font color="C00000">Hero ($29.75)</font>
MP1 ($35.40)
MP2 ($8.40)
MP3 ($9.55)
<font color="C00000">CO ($24.30)</font>
Button ($16.20)
SB ($18.30)
BB ($21.15)
UTG ($8.30)

Preflop: Hero is UTG+1 with 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="666666">1 fold</font>, Hero calls $0, <font color="666666">1 fold</font>, MP2 calls $0, MP3 calls $0, CO calls $0, <font color="666666">2 folds</font>, BB checks,25,25,25,25,

Flop: ($1.35) K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(5 players)</font>
BB checks, Hero checks, MP2 checks, MP3 checks, <font color="CC3333">CO bets $0.25</font>, BB calls $0.25, Hero calls $0.25, MP2 folds, MP3 calls $0.25.

Turn: ($2.35) 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
BB checks, Hero checks, MP3 checks, <font color="CC3333">CO bets $0.5</font>, BB folds, Hero calls $0.50, MP3 calls $0.50.

River: ($3.85) 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, MP3 checks, <font color="CC3333">CO bets $1</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises to $2</font>, MP3 folds, <font color="CC3333">CO raises to $3</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises to $6</font>, <font color="CC3333">CO raises to $15</font>, Hero folds.

Final Pot: $15.85
<font color="green">Main Pot: $15.85, won by CO.</font> &gt; <font color="white">Pot won by CO ($15.85).</font>

Results in white below: <font color="white">
CO shows Kd Kc (three of a kind, kings).
Outcome: CO wins $15.85. </font>
Old 08-13-2004, 02:19 PM

Default Re: Can u get away?

Why not raise the turn? I would have definately woken up there if not on the flop. Also, what is with the min raise on the end? Make a pot size raise. Although this is the exception, you don't want him getting away that easily.

I think you did well to muck the last raise, you didn't lose much at all for set over set. You indeed "got away," no reason to fret it.
Old 08-13-2004, 02:32 PM

Yeah, the whole hand was badly played by me, except for the last fold. As I said, the hand was just after a lost with QQ called by A2 when it had no pair and no especific draw.
Next time, better just fold it pre-flop if I am going to play it weakly like I did.
Old 08-13-2004, 03:20 PM

i don't like check-calling the flop. there are too many hands with a gutshot out there.

check-calling the turn is pretty bad too, IMO. with just the min bet on the flop, i'd bet the turn, as you can't be confident the flop bettor will bet. check-raising is next best. but you have every reason to believe you're ahead and you can't be confident you'll get to c/r the river, and you want to put some money in now to knock out weak draws.

i think that's a bad fold on the river. if i were in the hand it would go: hero bets $3.5, villain raises $x, hero pushes.

i'd have lost more, and it turned out you made a good fold, but i don't think folding here is a good play in general at the NL25 table.
Old 08-13-2004, 05:08 PM

The funny thing is that if you play the hand any different, you lose more money. If it's me, I checkraise the flop, he pushes, and I get busted thinking he has a hand like A6. Looks like you happen to be feeling vunerable at the right time and it saved you money. Gotta love a blessing in disguise...
Old 08-14-2004, 06:41 AM

Sorry but I don't like any of your post flop play. On the flop, I would just bet out probably because if you do check raise what will probably be a late position bet, then you will reveal the strength of hand whilst at the same time knocking out all the limpers most likely to have something. You also want to bet the flop to build the pot up and to charge the gutshot draws, which will probably call 1BB to see the next card.

Failing raising the flop, you have to bet/check raise the turn for the same reasons as above. Above all you have to build the pot up as there is no reason why you should think you are behind.

The river minimum check raise is crap, you're giving him an extreamly cheap showdown. Once he reraises, then reraise a proper amount and then call when he goes all in. This could have easily have been two pair or even an overplayed A. Unless you had a decent read on the opponent, I can't really see how you put him on a set before two pair, as the only set that I would have put him on that beats you is 88.

Basically, I would have played this straight up and just bet my hand. At this level, you will get people calling off their stacks with a weak A so let them do it. When you flop a set, you don't want to be sticking in all your cash when it is probably going to at its weakest (the river).
Old 08-14-2004, 10:15 PM

I would have lost all my money on the flop. Calling here is just bad poker.