Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-18-2005, 02:00 PM

Default College player forced to sit out due to shoes

web page

basically this guy has torn up his knee twice and says he doesn't like adidads. however the school has a contract with adidas and says he can't play unless he wears them. he has offered to tape over the brand names of other shoes but they said no. i sort of think the player has a point. being comfortable in shoes could definitely affect your play, particularly if you have bad knees.
discuss.
Old 10-18-2005, 02:22 PM

Default Re: College player forced to sit out due to shoes

I side with the university. I didn't read the article, but the university is giving the athlete ~$30,000 scholarship. This money has to come from somewhere. So if they sign an endorsement deal, the players have an obligation to honor that or find a different school.
Old 10-18-2005, 02:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I side with the university. I didn't read the article, but the university is giving the athlete ~$30,000 scholarship. This money has to come from somewhere. So if they sign an endorsement deal, the players have an obligation to honor that or find a different school.

[/ QUOTE ]

are you [censored] kidding me? i'm sure adidas has posted their logo all over the [censored] arena as well. if the kid has actual discomfort (and isn't trying to show off his new jordans), then something should be able to be done. When you go to the game, you are watching the game, not looking at the team shoes.

I'd say just by this article alone, adidas has gotten more than their money's worth from this deal with Arkansas St.
Old 10-18-2005, 02:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

try reading the article.
what about the school changing during the athlete's career
are you at all familiar with the policies for transferring?
Old 10-18-2005, 03:50 PM

The funny part is that the end result is that now Adidas has some *bad* publicity as a result of this. Their shoes are being presented as being uncomfortable and contributing to knee problems. Adidas should thank the University for playing hardball with this guy instead of trying to compromise in order to keep this out of the papers. Now everyone comes out looking bad.
Old 10-18-2005, 04:26 PM

This is why college sports are so bad. It is obviously unethical for an educator to subject a student to physical harm or pain for profit. That is what the school is doing because of the contract with a shoe company. This happens in intercollegiate professional sports all the time. The solution is simple, but will never be done of course. Amateurism should be restored, but whoring is much more popular.
Old 10-18-2005, 06:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

are you [censored] kidding me? i'm sure adidas has posted their logo all over the [censored] arena as well. if the kid has actual discomfort (and isn't trying to show off his new jordans), then something should be able to be done. When you go to the game, you are watching the game, not looking at the team shoes.

I'd say just by this article alone, adidas has gotten more than their money's worth from this deal with Arkansas St.

[/ QUOTE ]

If the university signed a contract with any company then the players that they are giving scholarships to are obligated to follow the terms of the contract. Period.
Old 10-18-2005, 06:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

try reading the article.
what about the school changing during the athlete's career
are you at all familiar with the policies for transferring?

[/ QUOTE ]

I am familiar with transer policies. But, if it were that serious, it's a viable option for student-athletes.

If the universtiy changes it's contract during a student-athletes career the athlete must still be obligated to follow the policies set forth by the university in order to uphold their end of their scholarship.
Old 10-18-2005, 06:54 PM

im definitely with the kid. if its one kid with a legitimate knee problem, let him switch. adidas looks really bad here.
Old 10-18-2005, 06:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
im definitely with the kid. if its one kid with a legitimate knee problem, let him switch. adidas looks really bad here.

[/ QUOTE ]

Here's the problem with that. If I'm Adidas or Nike or any company negotiating contracts with universities that haven't honored previous contracts, I'm either not going to deal with them or lowball them. Either way, this really hurts the university.