Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Omaha/8
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-16-2005, 09:02 PM

Default Two PLO8 SnG hands

I'm primarily a limit O8 player. This is my first ever PLO8 Sit & Go and I've only had a handful of ring PLO8 sessions so I'm still trying to adjust.

HAND 1

PokerStars (9 handed) converter

Blinds 10/20
Seat 1: BB (1590 in chips)
Seat 2: (1670 in chips)
Seat 3: (1800 in chips)
Seat 4: Hero (1320 in chips)
Seat 5: (2080 in chips)
Seat 6: (1230 in chips)
Seat 7: (1500 in chips)
Seat 8: Button (1440 in chips)
Seat 9: SB (870 in chips)

Preflop: Hero is MP1 with 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. SB posts a blind of 10.
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+1 calls, Hero calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP3 calls, CO calls, Button calls, SB completes, BB checks.

Flop: 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(7 players)</font>
Everyone checks.
POT = 140

Turn: J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(7 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 bets 40</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises 220 to 260</font>, MP3 folds, CO folds, Button folds, <font color="#CC3333">SB raises 590 to 850 and is all-in</font>, BB folds, UTG+1 folds, <font color="#CC3333">Hero calls.</font>

River: Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>

Final Pot:

Results in white below: <font color="#FFFFFF">
Hero has 7d 4h Jd Ac (High: three of a kind, jacks).
SB has 4d 9h 5c 9d (High: four of a kind, nines).</font>

HAND 2

Blinds 50/100
Seat 1: (2993 in chips)
Seat 2: (3925 in chips)
Seat 4: Hero (1153 in chips)
Seat 6: (3167 in chips)
Seat 7: (1275 in chips)
Seat 8: (987 in chips)

PokerStars (6 handed)
Preflop: Hero is BB with 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. SB posts a blind of 50.
UTG calls, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, SB completes 100, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises 300 to 400</font>, UTG calls 300, SB folds.

POT = 900
Flop: Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets 753 (All-In)</font>, UTG calls.

Turn: 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players, 1 all-in)</font>

River: 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players, 1 all-in)</font>

Final Pot:

Results in white below: <font color="#FFFFFF">
Hero has 3d 7d Ac 2c (High: a pair of queens).
UTG has Qh As Kd Ah (High: full house, queens full of kings).
</font>
Old 11-16-2005, 10:00 PM

Default Re: Two PLO8 SnG hands

The first hand is one I'd prefer not to play at all. It has a poor low draw and nothing exciting on the high side. It will require a perfect flop to play with any confidence.

Once you're involved, you might consider placing a bet earlier than the river (flop or turn) to feel things out. The re-raise on the river should drive you out. I don't think you're priced in and I certainly don't see any good coming from the call. In particular, since nobody was forced out early on you could even be losing to a straight (not to mention a boat or the quads that ended up killing you).

I get the feeling that you felt short-stacked on the second hand. It seems like you were pushing from start to finish for no reason in particular. I like this hand pre-flop much more and will raise with it infrequently, but I don't know that I'd bet the whole pot. You have to know that if he calls the follow up bet, your tourney is over. I prefer to semi-bluff, here you only have a backdoor flush draw making it quite cold.

How much fold equity could there really be? Let's assume that he's put you on aces, what sort of hands could he have and then call with?
Old 11-17-2005, 12:04 AM

Umm ... no offense, but these were some terrible plays. What are you doing raising there? why dont u just smooth call or when ur reraised all in just fold.
The next hand I just dont understand what ur going all in with, however, i wish to know how much u had left and stuff that betting pot puts u all in on the flop.
Old 11-17-2005, 12:18 AM

Hand one:

One of the hardest things to do I think, in PLO8, and especially SnGs where you are trying to get chips fast, is to fold trips, top kicker. The more you'll play, the more you'll notice that it rarely is good. Even though this board it is unlikley someone has J9 or 99, slow down with trips. The way I've been playing this lately is calling a bet or check/calling. If someone goes crazy after you, its time to lay them down. A large percentage of the time this means they have their boat made or quads, and you are either drawing to 3 cards (An ace) or dead. If not it means you both have top pair top kicker, and either could spike another card to fill up, or split. Again, I fold.

Hand 2:

I make this bet a good amount of time, depending on how I feel the flop hit my opponent. Without having a read, I probably check/fold here, but sometimes I make your play, and he calls, and I say [censored], and move on.
Old 11-17-2005, 04:44 AM

Hand1.

Why are you getting involved? It's not a great hand, the blinds are still low, you don't have a great position and you've donked off some chips already. When the turn comes you probably have to outdraw the guy to do better than split.

Hand2.

You got caught bluffing. No Omaha here, just pure and simple bad bluff, standard tourney theory - you're only going to be called by a hand that beats you.
Old 11-17-2005, 10:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Umm ... no offense, but these were some terrible plays. What are you doing raising there? why dont u just smooth call or when ur reraised all in just fold.
The next hand I just dont understand what ur going all in with, however, i wish to know how much u had left and stuff that betting pot puts u all in on the flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree that the first hand was horrible, but the second one isn't. In fact, the second hand is pretty standard in SNGs.

In the first hand, the blinds are very small, so you only want to play premium hands. I'd check the turn, but you made a small bet. When you get reraised, you can safely accept that you're beat and fold with a healthy stack. In SNGs you don't want to gamble early.

In the second hand, the play is standard. You have 10BB and some donk SB limps on your BB. If this were a NL SNG, you would've pushed PF, but since it's not, all you can do it pot it and get your chips in on any flop if it's checked to you. Nice play, just unlucky. BTW, I'd even make the play in the second hand with worse cards than you had.
Old 11-17-2005, 10:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree that the first hand was horrible, but the second one isn't. In fact, the second hand is pretty standard in SNGs.

In the first hand, the blinds are very small, so you only want to play premium hands. I'd check the turn, but you made a small bet. When you get reraised, you can safely accept that you're beat and fold with a healthy stack. In SNGs you don't want to gamble early.

[/ QUOTE ]

Is it unreasonable to think I have the best hand when it's checked around to me again on the turn (hence the pot raise)? I suppose calling his re-pot was bad, but I just couldn't see him having J9 or 99.

[ QUOTE ]
In the second hand, the play is standard. You have 10BB and some donk SB limps on your BB. If this were a NL SNG, you would've pushed PF, but since it's not, all you can do it pot it and get your chips in on any flop if it's checked to you. Nice play, just unlucky. BTW, I'd even make the play in the second hand with worse cards than you had.

[/ QUOTE ]
Pretty much my thinking here. I don't see how he could call my flop bet without a Queen. Oops, he had one.
Old 11-17-2005, 11:21 AM

The thing is that he wasnt against the sb in this hand, he was against someone who limped UTG and then called. I like the preflop raise, but when he calls, unless u flop this pretty big, I dont see the point of betting all in. I mean this will over double u up if he folds, but there is a wide range of hands that he could call u with that would put u in trouble. TP+FD might call or something like that. Especially if this guy is a donk or something, his calling range is very high and thus u have no idea what ur up against. the play is very aggressive, I just dont see the point of it from my standpoint. In fact ur going allin screams "i dont have a queen" even tho there is a 2flush and possibly SD, doesnt make much sense pushing all in here. Betting half ur stack would be much more likely instead of just pushing. I dont know enough about the UTG, and in hindsight the play isnt terrible, i just dont see the point of risking so many chips OOP. By potting PF, he is almost always going to call from position and then ur basically done.
Old 11-17-2005, 03:12 PM

Tough spots.

Hand 1 is easy fold preflop for me. Once its checked around and you have top trips, its hard to get away from that spot. Folding to SB’s push might be correct tho, since I can’t see him making that play with worse than AJ which means you are likely being freerolled. But I don’t know that I fold too often there.

Hand 2 is mainly tough luck.

-g