Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-28-2005, 05:58 PM

Default tight image... how to adjust play

Situation:
Typical home games are $20 buyin, NL, .25/50 blinds
Average table is about 7-8 players.

Here are the usual players:

Hero: fairly TAG, but gets bullied in a lot of post-flop situations and is uncertain how to handle them
Villain1: total fish/calling station. one of the worst players I've seen in a while and good for easy money
Villain2: a pretty tight/passive player, but doesn't know how to let go of a moderately strong hand (2-pair, trips w/ flush draws, etc)
Villain3:: A pretty average player. Knows when to tighten up for the most part, but occasionally will overplay his AJ/AQ top pair hands
Villain4:: A very strong player who is pretty loose preflop, but has excellent reads post-flop and usually walks away with boatloads of money.
Villain5: Awful player. Plays too many hands, and will chase any flush.
Villain6:: This villain gives me the most trouble. Somewhat choosy preflop, but is very aggressive postflop with bet size.

Those are the usuals.

Here's my main problem. The table considers me a -very- tight player. When I push against someone who seems to have a strong hand, they'll often lay it down.

However, Villain6 has been absolutely killing me at the table. He'll play almost any hand I'm in.

Here's what usually happens:
- I raise preflop
- He calls
- Flop comes - if I'm OOP, I bet, and he'll either come in strong over the top, or call and push hard on the turn every time
If I'm in position and raise him, he'll often reraise me all-in as long as the board has possibilities (3 of a suit, straight draws, paired boards, etc).

Any suggestions on how to adapt to this? I can't hit cards often enough to have this payout.

Other general ideas for mixing up my play would help as well. Here's what I'm doing:
- varying my preflop raises with good hands (I'll do both small, big, medium raises w/ high pockets).
- mixing it up between continuation betting flops and check-raising OOP

help! i'm getting absolutely killed lately.