Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Sports Betting
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-19-2005, 06:49 PM

Default Why are the Ynaks favored tonight?

on the road against the white sox?

Ken
Old 08-19-2005, 07:12 PM

Default Re: Why are the Ynaks favored tonight?

[ QUOTE ]
on the road against the white sox?

Ken

[/ QUOTE ]

Baseball is fixed.

OBVIOUSLY.
Old 08-19-2005, 07:19 PM

oh the white sox have lost 5 in a row.... ok got it now, somehow missed that......

I should never bet baseball.

Ken
Old 08-19-2005, 07:34 PM

same reason they've been favored in >95% of their games this year: They're the Yankees.
Old 08-19-2005, 07:36 PM

The Yankees are always favored. The public thinks they are unbeatable. The "Yankee Fade" currently stands at +13.1 units had you bet against them every game so far this season.
Old 08-20-2005, 10:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The Yankees are always favored. The public thinks they are unbeatable. The "Yankee Fade" currently stands at +13.1 units had you bet against them every game so far this season.

[/ QUOTE ]

This may be very slightly due to the public's perception just because they're "The Yankees", but I think it much more caused by the fact that, pre-season, the Yankees were thought to be a definite World Series contender and they have sucked all year.
Old 08-21-2005, 01:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This may be very slightly due to the public's perception just because they're "The Yankees", but I think it much more caused by the fact that, pre-season, the Yankees were thought to be a definite World Series contender and they have sucked all year.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed.. If it was as simple as just betting vs the yankees every year and taking advantage of the publics perception or favoring of them to make profit, everyone would be doing it. [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]
Old 08-21-2005, 02:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Preseason they were hugely overrated. The over-under for wins was set at 100.5. Anybody with a decent knowledge of baseball knew that that number was ridiculous. 92-94 wins would have been more appropriate.

I don't recall a single game in the first 1/3rd of the season or so that the Yanks were underdogs. This was when they were overvalued. Since then, people have slowly started to believe they aren't that good, and occasionally they are underdogs.

Some might say the Yanks got unlucky this year - and that's partially true. But they've also been lucky in ways. Entering the season there was no reason to expect their offense to do anything but decline. They added no one, and they were quite old to start. They also were planning on starting an offensive black hole in the lineup in Womack.

Instead they've had nice surprises in Cano and Giambi. A-Rod has outperformed expectations and Sheff is hitting like .400 with runners on. The starting pitching was plagued with injuries - but even that could have been a lot worse. Wang was a huge lift to the rotation, and even the bundle of scrubs they picked up have done OK. I think the Yanks are only a couple wins below where they should be right now, given their team at the start of the year.
Old 08-21-2005, 04:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Preseason they were hugely overrated. The over-under for wins was set at 100.5. Anybody with a decent knowledge of baseball knew that that number was ridiculous. 92-94 wins would have been more appropriate.

I don't recall a single game in the first 1/3rd of the season or so that the Yanks were underdogs. This was when they were overvalued. Since then, people have slowly started to believe they aren't that good, and occasionally they are underdogs.

Some might say the Yanks got unlucky this year - and that's partially true. But they've also been lucky in ways. Entering the season there was no reason to expect their offense to do anything but decline. They added no one, and they were quite old to start. They also were planning on starting an offensive black hole in the lineup in Womack.

Instead they've had nice surprises in Cano and Giambi. A-Rod has outperformed expectations and Sheff is hitting like .400 with runners on. The starting pitching was plagued with injuries - but even that could have been a lot worse. Wang was a huge lift to the rotation, and even the bundle of scrubs they picked up have done OK. I think the Yanks are only a couple wins below where they should be right now, given their team at the start of the year.

[/ QUOTE ]

I am a die hard yankees fan. This is about correct.

The public does the same thing with the Lakers.