Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-31-2005, 05:44 PM

Default an old fashioned semi bluff. sort of.

live 20-40 i have JTo in the bb. utg+1 who is quite random openraises, button who is fishy aggressive cold calls, i call. my image is trash because ive been losing every single hand, but ive been showing down big pairs and not much else. ive not been caught bluffing.

the flop is 8h7c3d. checked around. button says something genuine to the dealer like, "i need cards a little bit higher than that man!"

the turn is a 5d. i check, utg+1 shrugs and bets, button calls, i checkraise. utg+1 folds, and button calls.

river is a 7. i bet.
Old 08-31-2005, 05:45 PM

Default Re: an old fashioned semi bluff. sort of.

i like muchos, but i might bet the turn (though a checkraise does look damn good).

aseem
Old 08-31-2005, 05:56 PM

"i might bet the turn"

for one thing that leaves bets on the table because utg+1 is too likely to bet A high there after everyone whiffs the flop and i check again. another thing is if i bet it makes it too easy for utg+1 to just call down with A high.
Old 08-31-2005, 05:56 PM

This one of the fairly rare situations where crazing a bettor and a caller on the turn is especially appetizing. The preflop raiser has literally announced that he has overcards, and with his SB (shrug bet) on the turn you can almost hear him say "well I guess my AK is good if noone is betting, I gotta bet."

Now, the aggressive button knows just as well as you do that the pf raiser probably has overcards, and he just calls. This screams some kind of draw, i.e. diamonds or a bare 6 of some sort. This is a great time to raise, probably get heads up with the button, and when he blanks out you scoop the pot.

I'm typically wary of crazing a bettor and a caller on a semi-bluff, but this is a great great spot for it, IMO.

Hope you won - Jags
Old 08-31-2005, 06:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
"i might bet the turn"

for one thing that leaves bets on the table because utg+1 is too likely to bet A high there after everyone whiffs the flop and i check again. another thing is if i bet it makes it too easy for utg+1 to just call down with A high.

[/ QUOTE ]

And checkraising after the button calls makes the move appear that much stronger. It would take an expert read from UTG+1 to figure out what's happening.
Old 08-31-2005, 07:29 PM

Looks great. Let me guess how it ends...

Button pauses, looks at his cards, looks at you. Does it all again and then says...

"he's running bad...I call"

KJ takes the money...

nice hand

lf
Old 08-31-2005, 07:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
live 20-40 i have JTo in the bb. utg+1 who is quite random openraises, button who is fishy aggressive cold calls, i call. my image is trash because ive been losing every single hand, but ive been showing down big pairs and not much else. ive not been caught bluffing.

the flop is 8h7c3d. checked around. button says something genuine to the dealer like, "i need cards a little bit higher than that man!"

the turn is a 5d. i check, utg+1 shrugs and bets, button calls, i checkraise. utg+1 folds, and button calls.

river is a 7. i bet.

[/ QUOTE ]

I like this one a lot. While, given the descriptions, the play may stand up on its own, the fact that you have 10 cards to improve make it really good (added to the fact that you can scoop w/o improving).

In many of your other posts you make moves like this with totally dry hands, which I frequently do not like. I think there are plenty of semi bluffing opportunities out there to limit the use of them to times when we have compounding probabilities to win the hand. Nice old fashioned SB.
Old 09-01-2005, 12:21 AM

This hand was very fun to watch from a physical tells standpoint. The button was very clearly a non actor and would never have checked through any piece of this flop or any pair. The early player was straightforward and really did make it painfully obvious that he whiffed. I was sitting in the middle after having folded preflop and nearly spit up my drink at this turn ckeckraise by mike. It was very obvious to me that all 3 of them had air and I wanted to 3 bet without even having cards. It was the perfect time to make this play though because these guys were tards.
Old 09-01-2005, 12:39 AM

A near-expert play. [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]
Old 09-01-2005, 12:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]
A near-expert play. [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

NH.