Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-20-2005, 02:22 AM

Default Image and changing gears

I'm not sure if this is the right forum or not, so if it isn't just point me in the right direction. Anyway I was wondering about image plays and balancing them against your "standard" game. Are image plays really only worthwhile at say 3/6 and above? It seems that at 1/2 and 2/4 (against non-regular opponents) one could seemingly get away overbetting only the nuts (ie. never overbet bluffing) and still get paid off regularly by people looking you up. For that example (overbet nuts vs overbet bluff) it seems that at lower stakes I'm getting called almost far too often to make such plays with bluffs correct.

The reason I'm wondering is that I've been playing a lot of 3/6 lately (as well as 2/4) and I feel that I'm extracting more value at 2/4 that at 3/6 for similar hands. So is there really that big a difference? (this is over about 15k hands so I'm sure some of it is just ST variance)
Old 11-20-2005, 02:25 AM

Default Re: Image and changing gears

[ QUOTE ]
Are image plays really only worthwhile at say 3/6 and above?

[/ QUOTE ]
Change that to shorthanded 50/100 with the same people day in and day out.
Old 11-20-2005, 02:30 AM

Default Re: Image and changing gears

Are we talking live or online? Online, I don't see too much value in image at almost any level (just because of the players moving in and out so much). However, if someone has PT I guess you are playing into statistics, etc. I would say that live image is probably more important at lower nl stakes. I feel like this becuase they are too stupid to figure out that you are making plays for image. I play a 1/2 nl game and I love to show down bluffs and make ridiculous plays (and good call downs). This way, I get the loose aggressive image from just a few hands, and then I get paid off down the road by some donkeys.

Image plays should be exclusive to big stack play though, I wouldn't be making image plays if I had 125 at a 1/2 game with average raise of 12 preflop, but I can do that with 300. Also, sometimes "image" plays are sometimes good plays, that should be noted.