Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-04-2005, 07:31 AM

Default A 6max hand that makes more sense here

CO is 72/5/1 over lots of hands

Party Poker 5/10 Hold'em (6 max, 6 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is Button with 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
UTG calls, MP calls, CO calls, Hero calls, SB completes, BB checks.

Flop: (6 SB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(6 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, UTG folds, MP folds, CO calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, SB calls, BB calls, <font color="#CC3333">CO 3-bets</font>, Hero calls, SB calls, BB calls.

Turn: (9 BB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">CO bets</font>, Hero...
Old 07-04-2005, 07:52 AM

Default Re: A 6max hand that makes more sense here

I hope I'm not overlooking anything I really need to go to sleep but I think villains hand range is squarely on a better flush or a full house.

Fold...
Old 07-04-2005, 12:16 PM

Hey Stiffler,

Well, this is closer than it first seemed. I think your main goal is to try and shut out any single clubs. Unfortunately, by raising you're giving a call 5.5:1 odds on a 5:1 shot.

There's also the chance that CO already has you beat, as well as the chance SB and BB have a large flush (which is possible when you see them call the raise on the flop).

So, I think we have an argument for just calling the turn. This gives you a few advantages. First, you have the opportunity to see if either SB or BB go for a check-raise (and if they do, you get to see how CO reacts). Second, since you can't shut out single clubs, you're not really losing that much by just calling and taking advantage of a safe turn where you can be more confident that you're ahead.

That said, I still think you have to raise here. Even though you can't make a single club call unprofitably, by just calilng, you're giving them nearly double the odds that they need. Also, by raising, you have the potential to make higher clubs fold incorrectly. For example, if the highest club out there is a jack, the owner might not be willing to make the call because he would fear a higher club.

If you get check-raised or re-raised here, it's probably time to start deciding between calling down and folding.
Old 07-04-2005, 12:57 PM

Fold pre flop.

I just raise the turn and calldown if he reraises. CO is aggressive and bad. Calling encourages Kx and club draws to call. Folding is giving up too much against this opponent. Assuming CO is a thinking player who would only make the flop play w/ a club draw or 2 pair/set is a mistake.
Old 07-04-2005, 01:45 PM

Hi Jeff,
You have this exactly right.
Old 07-04-2005, 02:01 PM

calls.
Old 07-04-2005, 02:12 PM

Evan,

I would have folded this pre-flop but whatever.

I would think that the 5/10 6-max game is generally aggressive enough that you don't want to try this free card play (I assume that is what is is as I don't think it can be much of a value raise after UTG and MP fold, particularly as your raise may shut out SB).

On the turn I go for the overcalls here with your baby flush. I doubt you can make any hand that you would like to fold do so and you may be behind, so why potentially knock out hands drawing thin or dead to you while opening yourself up to a re-raise by a better hand.
Old 07-04-2005, 02:18 PM

Location: duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem (mets are 9-13, currently on a 1 game winning streak)

ohh I missed that call-raise the first time I looked at it. can't fold though, so I call
Old 07-04-2005, 02:23 PM

I doubt you can make any hand that you would like to fold do so and you may be behind, so why potentially knock out hands drawing thin or dead to you while opening yourself up to a re-raise by a better hand.

Its all about reverse implied odds baby !!! Excellent reasoning for calling.

If I did not feel so damn lazy, I would have given the same explanation.
Old 07-04-2005, 06:11 PM

i like a raise...

if our hand is good then there are a lot of river cards that could kill us, don't we want to fold out higher clubs if possible?

its possible this guy could have something like AK or K6, no?

raise and fold to a 3bet?