Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-05-2005, 10:18 AM

Default cold call...then fold top pair?

Couple of things here:
2 pf posters,
does this seem like a good cold call?
check out qwertyuiops flop action...shady?
my fold? no hearts, top pair not real strong...bad fold?

Paradise Poker 0.50/1 Hold'em (9 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is CO with K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. MP3 posts a blind of $0.50. MP2 posts a blind of $0.50.
<font color="#CC3333">UTG raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP1 calls, MP2 (poster) calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero calls, Button calls, SB calls, BB calls.

Flop: (15 SB) J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(7 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG raises</font>, MP1 folds, MP2 folds, Hero folds, Button calls, SB folds, BB folds.

Turn: (10 BB) 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">UTG bets</font>, Button calls.

River: (12 BB) A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">UTG bets</font>, Button folds.

Final Pot: 13 BB
Old 09-05-2005, 10:45 AM

Default Re: cold call...then fold top pair?

[ QUOTE ]
Couple of things here:
2 pf posters,
does this seem like a good cold call?
check out qwertyuiops flop action...shady?
my fold? no hearts, top pair not real strong...bad fold?

Paradise Poker 0.50/1 Hold'em (9 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is CO with K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. MP3 posts a blind of $0.50. MP2 posts a blind of $0.50.
<font color="#CC3333">UTG raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP1 calls, MP2 (poster) calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero calls, Button calls, SB calls, BB calls.

Flop: (15 SB) J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(7 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG raises</font>, MP1 folds, MP2 folds, Hero folds, Button calls, SB folds, BB folds.

Turn: (10 BB) 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">UTG bets</font>, Button calls.

River: (12 BB) A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">UTG bets</font>, Button folds.

Final Pot: 13 BB

[/ QUOTE ]

Preflop is okay. If you knew more about UTG (tight/loose raiser), you can make better decisions. Also, being skilled postflop is important so you don't lose a whole bunch of money when you're dominated.

BB's play is strange, but in isolation doesn't show collusion. If it makes you feel better, report this hand to the poker site and have them investigate.

I think I want to see the turn in this hand. You're getting 9:1 on the flop cold-call, and you have 4.5 outs (the flush draw is a little worrisome, but there aren't too many players left when it's your action). You might even consider 3-betting if villain is aggressive (if you knew more about UTG, you can make better decisions). The reason is that he could have AK/AQ and is auto-raising the flop bet, and you might have the best hand at this point.
Old 09-05-2005, 10:50 AM

The preflop coldcall is fine especially if you play well postflop. That means flopping top pair and being able to get away from it as you realise that you're beaten and/or drawing dead. Which is what you did. So nice fold.

I have no idea what/who is a qwertiwhatever? If its someones screen-name then it's better that you don't post those from an ettiquite point of view.
Old 09-05-2005, 11:12 AM

As has been mentioned, it's bad form to write a player's screen name here. Just mention it as UTG.

That said, I think pre-flop is fine. On the flop, UTG could be raising for value, raising to protect, who knows? I have no idea why you think this is odd. Your hand is strong, and I really want to see how the turn plays out. I'm with Aaron on this - I think a call is reasonable, even if it is a bit uncomfortable.
Old 09-05-2005, 11:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]
qwertyuiops

[/ QUOTE ] hahah- is he still playing there? i played against that guy when i was at paradise like 6 months ago. maybe i still have notes on him...
Old 09-05-2005, 11:49 AM

Still there. I have 1,043 hands with him at .25/.50 where he's a very solid and winning player, but only 79 at .50/1.

I never had any reason to suspect collusion. I generally gave him credit for a hand.