Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-03-2004, 05:59 AM

Default AKo with a whole lotta action!

Villain appears to be sLP-P, but I haven't been at the table long enough to get a legit read.

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (10 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is BB with K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
UTG calls, UTG+1 calls, UTG+2 calls, MP1 folds, MP2 folds, MP3 calls, CO folds, Button folds, SB completes, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, UTG calls, UTG+1 calls, UTG+2 calls, MP3 calls, SB calls.

Flop: (12 SB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(6 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG folds, <font color="CC3333">UTG+1 raises</font>, UTG+2 folds, MP3 folds, SB folds, <font color="CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">UTG+1 caps</font>, Hero calls.

JT is one of those hands I always assume someone is holding. It seems that most players will play this from EP, against a raise, or even raise with it in LP. As soon as I saw this flop, my first instinct was to try to figure out which of these fishies called me with JT...UTG+1 seems like the likely candidate. Is my line okay?

Turn: (10 BB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">UTG+1 raises</font>, Hero calls.

I decide to take another stab at it, but he certainly seems to like his hand. Based on the fact I haven't seen him raise preflop, it is just as likely for him to have a hand like AQ or AK as it is for JT. I bet, he raises, I decide to slow down and call.

River: (14 BB) T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="CC3333">UTG+1 bets</font>, Hero calls.

With 4 to a straight on the board, and his show of strength in the earlier rounds, I decide a check/call is in order. Right move?

Final Pot: 16 BB
<font color="green">Main Pot: 16 BB, between Hero and UTG+1.</font>

The entire time I played this hand I had a sneaking suspicion I was beat. UTG+1 had not played a hand with this level of aggression before, and I really thought I was behind. I never thought about folding, but I certainly didn't think I was going to win this hand. Is there a point where I should lay it down? Should I show more aggression on the offchance he's betting a weaker hand than mine? I was really unsure how to approach this hand.

Ajax
Old 11-03-2004, 07:09 AM

Default Re: AKo with a whole lotta action!

I think you played the hand fine.

With him being so passive I may have been tempted to go into call down mode after he caps the flop as I dont think this type of player is raising for the free card.

He could easy have a worse two pair KQ, AQ, I would expect even a passive preflopper to raise AA,KK,QQ so I am not worried about trips. If he has J10 so be it.
Old 11-03-2004, 07:58 AM

Default Re: AKo with a whole lotta action!

Yeah, I think you played it fine as well. The only street I'd have played differently is the flop. With 6 players on a coordinated board, I usually go for the check-raise. If you get a late-position player to bet (since these guys called a PF raise and the board is so coordiated, *someone's* gonna bet at it), then your raise will force draws to call 2 cold. Then if you get 3-bet, you can stop and go on a safe-looking turn. Calling his turn raise is correct (given that he is as likely to have KQ and AQ as he is to have JT), and you have redraws to fill up if he has JT.