Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-02-2005, 02:37 PM

Default $55: Blind war with QJs

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t150 (5 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

MP (t1220)
Button (t2485)
SB (t1540)
Hero (t1855)
UTG (t2900)

Preflop: Hero is BB with Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">SB raises to t300</font>, Hero ???

so the villian in this story has been pretty tricky, often limping and getting involved in a lot of pots. he has made a lot of probe bets in multiway pots to take them down without a fight. the guy seemed to like to gamble, a hand that stuck out in my mind is that he called a standard raise from utg who was the ultimate rock when he had kt and got the money in on a AKx flop.

he probably views me as ubertighty as i have only shown down qq and taken a few pots without showing my cards.

last hand when it was folded to him in the sb he min raised and i folded.

question: does anyone push this back in his face with qjs? i couldnt see folding as much of an option... i probably did the worst thing and decided to call since the stacks were sorta weird and i wasnt desperate.

thoughts?
Old 11-02-2005, 02:52 PM

Default Re: $55: Blind war with QJs

pushing &gt; calling &gt; folding IMO
Old 11-02-2005, 03:00 PM

With the middle stack on the table and 11xBB left if I fold, I'm being real conservative here, and QJs is OK but not great. Fold.

If you feel like playing, I see nothing wrong with a call, since he min-raised.

I don't like pushing here because I barely have him covered. But who knows, it may be theoretically correct if you put him on a wide range. I just don't like it in practice against somebody who likes to gamble.

My two cents...
Old 11-02-2005, 03:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

There is no way I would push this. It seems like everytime I'm in a position exactly like OP described, SB wakes up with AK. I hate this stupid game.
Old 11-02-2005, 03:03 PM

I'm just folding this one, no need to get involved here.
Old 11-02-2005, 03:11 PM

even if he min raised last opportunity he had? are you just folding b/c hero has a decent amount of chips at the moment?

im so sick of min raises, i swear they will be the end of me.
Old 11-02-2005, 03:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
even if he min raised last opportunity he had? are you just folding b/c hero has a decent amount of chips at the moment?

im so sick of min raises, i swear they will be the end of me.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's just donks hitting the raise button. Don't worry about it. You have no obligation to call, and it just gives you the option to get in cheaper every now and then.
Old 11-02-2005, 03:23 PM

i would call here. this guy sounds like a lag fish.

why don't you guys want to play a flop with likely the better hand getting 3:1 in position against a bad player? it's not like your chip position is so great now you can just chill and steal a couple times and make the money.
Old 11-02-2005, 03:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Think about this
your going to let him min raise all of your sbs for the rest of the tounry. What happenes when there at 100/200 and you have 1000 chips and he min raises you have 59 in the bb?
The thing is his min raise range here is huge but his call range is probably tiny...AJ+, 99+ maybe KQ. Repush for sure
Old 11-02-2005, 03:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Think about this
your going to let him min raise all of your sbs for the rest of the tounry. What happenes when there at 100/200 and you have 1000 chips and he min raises you have 59 in the bb?
The thing is his min raise range here is huge but his call range is probably tiny...AJ+, 99+ maybe KQ. Repush for sure

[/ QUOTE ]

OP says he's a gambler... and he's getting low on chips... he could very well be calling with much wider than that.

Also, if what I do now encourages him to raise his crap later, that's fine, cause I'm popping him back later when the blinds are higher. Right now, it's just not worth it to me.