Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-23-2005, 11:22 AM

Default Making decision: ITH or SSHE?

Bought WWLH, read through.
Then read: "Monsters under the bed from WLLH" from Ed Miller.
Corrected my play.
Playing only 2 weeks (about 3k Hands).
0.1/0.2 - winning (I think).
0.25/0.5 - even money.
Going to order next book.
What is your advise: is it worth reading Internet Texas Holdem before SSHE?
Please, answer if you have read BOTH books.
Old 05-23-2005, 01:17 PM

Default Re: Making decision: ITH or SSHE?

I didn't find ITH to have anything that would make it a must own. OTOH SSH is an excellent book. Don't get me wrong, ITH is not a bad book, but it is not necessary.
Old 05-23-2005, 02:01 PM

What is Monsters under the bed from WLLH?
Old 05-23-2005, 02:28 PM

Internet texas holdem is very good it lays a good stratagy for holdem at any level.Some of things i likeed are the starting hand guide, discounted outs, implied pot odds, ect.And is very complex book unlike small stakes holdem which is small stakes against loose players and shows you how to read the board outs, the partial outs section is ok but some flaws.I would read small stakes first apply that and then get internet texas holdem a more complex book on overal holdem. Internet texas holdem.com is a good site similar to this one and has great articles.
Old 05-23-2005, 02:29 PM

I have both and think both books are great. I think ITH is an excellent introductory/intermediate book whereas SSH is more for intermediate/advanced play.

I have both and think both are worth having.
Old 05-23-2005, 03:36 PM

I read WLLH first, just like you. I was brand new to poker and it seemed a bit tough first time through. Not unmanageable, but most were new concepts to me. Actually I read it again right after that. The second read was much easier. I then tried to read SSHE. I read about half of it and felt lost. It seemed too advanced at the time, I had not found the forum yet, and I had no idea if it was good advice or not. I decided to put it down and give ITH a shot, as I had heard it was for beginners but more in depth than WLLH. I read ITH and it was a big help. I then read GSIH and that was generally a pretty each read with some new deas. I then went back to ITH. I'm about finished with ITH on the second time through and will go to SSHE again next.

I think ITH is a great book after WLLH, from personal experience. I guess it would depend on your poker experience on wether you could make that jump right to SSHE.
Old 05-23-2005, 04:06 PM

Stop whatever you are doing and go get SSH RIGHT NOW. DO NOT PASS GO.

There's nothing in ITH or WLLH that you need to "prepare" you for SSH. You wont get more out of SSH if you read the others first. Just get SSH. Now.
Old 05-23-2005, 05:18 PM

If you want to go to a forum filled with fanbois for the other book and try to make your idol's book look good it's a plus if you are coherent. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

None of the games that Hilger plays is anything other than small stakes against loose opponents. (Atleast the games he claim in his book to be playing are just these games.)
Old 05-23-2005, 06:08 PM

I would recommend reading ITH as a first book, before reading WLLH. Since you have already read WLLH, you should skip ITH and buy SSH. You might want to slip in TOP also.
Old 05-23-2005, 07:13 PM

I bought WLLH, then SSH, and then later on I got ITH for free from an affiliate signup deal.

ITH is definitely not a bad book. even after reading SSH, Hilger gives more in-depth examples of all the specific situations that can occur in a hand, such as trips vs. sets, middle pair/bottom pair, flush and straight draws, and has more hand examples than SSH in each chapter.

so I would say ITH is more of a hand-holding beginners book, and SSH is more of a broad, academic and conceptual text. there is a chance that SSH may be too difficult to read if you are still breaking even at the quarter limits, but once you do understand it, there is a higher ceiling of "poker consciousness" with the Miller/Sklansky than you'll have with ITH.

I personally found it advantageous (if only so slightly) to read ITH even after SSH and WLLH, though obviously many people have not and still did well. it just comes down to how much reading time you have, and how much you can get ITH for, if not free. I did not find there was any DISADVANTAGE to reading ITH, especially for low limit online games. SSH was written primarily to apply to $2/4 through $5/10 B&M situations, which may or may not occur exactly the same way as the equivalent skill levels online.