Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-04-2005, 12:43 AM

Default Tiltless

Is any one here on this site belive that they are absoutly unable to experience tilt, I think I have this ability at times, I think alot of it is beacuse alot of the time I play very under my bankroll. In my opinion the only poeple that should be tilting are the people playing to high if your playing under your bankroll abilites or very inside the range of your bankroll, then you dont tilt or dont experience it like others do
Old 04-04-2005, 04:19 AM

Default Re: Tiltless

(For this post, I'm defining tilt as any time that one plays sub-optimally for emotional reasons)

There was a time when I thought that I was nearly immune to tilt - I realize now just how deluded I was. I've gone on tilt because I was losing, because I was winning ("I can win even more, I know it!"), because I was playing above my bankroll, because I was playing way below my bankroll (like $0.10/$0.20), because I was bored from being cold-decked, because I was over-confident from a hot streak, because I was drunk, because I was tired, because I was watching too many idiots drag pot after pot, because I felt (incorrectly) that I could massively outplay my opponents, because I felt that I was being outplayed, because I didn't want to leave a loser, because I wanted to leave a winner, because I didn't want to leave break-even, because I didn't want to cash out a very small amount of chips... the list goes on and on. My point is, I'm willing to bet that you aren't as immune to tilt as you think you are. Playing below your bankroll certainly helps (and makes it less expensive when you inevitably do go on tilt), but don't make the mistake of thinking you are immune. Mike Caro says the biggest secret in poker is to always play your best game - its taken me a long to time to really understand that, and it's going to take a much longer time to actually put that advice into practice (if I ever can).
Old 04-04-2005, 04:22 AM

Goober--awesome, awesome, awesome post. Tilt can be way more subtle than many realize.

I also agree that playing games you are more than adequately bankrolled for helps because you can focus on playing well and not worry about the amounts of money changing hands.
Old 04-04-2005, 06:19 AM

I have to agree that was an axcellent post goober.

Could you please continue, and enlighten me on methods you have put into practise to counter tilt?
Old 04-04-2005, 02:48 PM

Goober's response was great.

With respect to tilt, or "tiltness", I'm not sure whether it would be desirable to be 100% immune to any forms of tilt (major or minor). I think the best situation one could strive for (as I think goober alluded to), is minimizing the impact of tilt to the lowest possible negative impact. (Lowest -EV possible).

As thinking and competitive beings, I would suggest we ALL have some tilt tendencies. It would be like the pro golfer saying he was NOT nervous on the first tee of the Master's. Even Tiger Woods says if you are not a little nervous, you are not in the game.

So, if you are TOTALLY immune from tilt, are you really in the game. (or just not recognizing all the subtle forms of tilt).

Any thoughts on this folks.
Old 04-04-2005, 02:55 PM

Like a sailor to seasickness, a poker player can at best say that they have not experienced tilt YET.
Old 04-04-2005, 03:00 PM

great post, i think we have all suffered from everyone of these at least one time in our life.

another reason i tilt is from being under a target number for cashing out. for instance, i am clearing a bonus and my goal is to be at 1K when the bonus is cleared and as soon as i clear i dip to say $950, this bugs me to no end and i have to make sure that i don't tilt away more trying to get it all back.
i know this has to do with one of the examples you mentioned, but there is something about being shy of your goal that pisses me off!
Old 04-04-2005, 06:21 PM

I fell under the mistaken thought that I was so level headed that I could claim I never go on a tilt (major one at least), that was until yesterday.

I felt off after a really great home game saturday night, and was looking forward to a freeroll college tournament on Royal Vegas Poker. To make a long story short I played good until I made a bad lay down where I could have knocked out a substantial stack. (dont remember what it was since Royal Vegas has never heard of the concept of hand history), got beat by that same guy a couple times, got steamed, went all in on him and he beat me.

I was so mad about my play, because I played so below my ability, I quickly used a freeroll into a sit & go, was impatient and was 6th out. This put me more on tilt and I entered another sit and go, this time was 10th out.

As painful as this was, I learned I was not immune and that if I do go on tilt it is probably better to step away rather than enter tourney after tourney.
Old 04-04-2005, 07:33 PM

www.tiltless.com

Apparently this guy lays claim to this astounding feat. Find out how.
Old 04-04-2005, 07:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
www.tiltless.com

Apparently this guy lays claim to this astounding feat. Find out how.

[/ QUOTE ]

Credentials include:
Being born in 1958 and having Mike Sexton say this of him, "Tommy and I sat together on a question-and-answer panel at Lucky Chances. He is a great guy and he really knows his poker" He calls that an endorsement.

Seems fishy to me.