Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-19-2005, 09:41 PM

Default A puzzling hand from early in day 2 . . .

Was just reading over the CardPlayer updates and saw this hand, which I find somewhat hard to believe:

Siagzar Payvar (seat 8) raises to $350, and Erick Lindgren (seat 9) raises that bet to $1,200. Payvar reraises to $5,000, and Lindgren reraises that to $14,000, and Payvar calls. The flop comes 8s-5d-5c, Payvar checks, and Lindgren bets $15,000, which was quickly called. The turn card is the 7s, Payvar checks, and Lindgren pushes all in for $17,000. After three minutes of contemplation, Payvar folds his hand, giving up the pot to Lindgren. Erick Lindgren now has about $95,000 in chips.

Comments?
Old 04-19-2005, 10:11 PM

Default Re: A puzzling hand from early in day 2 . . .

Lindgren had a better overpair that Payvar wouldn't give him credit for until it cost him over half his stack.
Old 04-19-2005, 10:18 PM

Well, duh.

What I don't get was why he called the last raise preflop if he was going to lay down an overpair here. After the way Lindgren has played so far in this hand, it seems to me like you either have to put him on AA or an incredible dedication to playing some other hand as if it were AA. You either give him credit for it or you don't preflop, I think.
Old 04-19-2005, 10:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Siagzar Payvar (seat 8) raises to $350, and Erick Lindgren (seat 9) raises that bet to $1,200. Payvar reraises to $5,000, and Lindgren reraises that to $14,000, and Payvar calls. The flop comes 8s-5d-5c, Payvar checks, and Lindgren bets $15,000, which was quickly called. The turn card is the 7s, Payvar checks, and Lindgren pushes all in for $17,000. After three minutes of contemplation, Payvar folds his hand, giving up the pot to Lindgren. Erick Lindgren now has about $95,000 in chips.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sounds to me like someone definitely could have saved $24K in chips if he intended to muck an overpair on the turn.

Getting his $5K reraise reraised again probably could have been the Special Moment in this hand, not $24K later.

We might assume he mucked either JJ or QQ here. JJ wouldn't be that tough to get away from preflop, especially for another $9K.

QQ might be a bit tougher, especially when your opponent is easing you in little by little.