Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-10-2005, 10:47 AM

Default How Do You??????????

I just started playing about two months ago and have read Ed Millers beginers book and am now going through SSH for the second time. I play .5/.10 rather tight as I am using the starting hand recommendation from Ed's book.

My question is, how do you play againest these people in the .5/.10 level who play "Big card and anything from any postion", "Bottom pair and ride it to the river with three Big cards on the board, and so on, and so on? Oh, and betting these hands like crazy.

I appreciate any input,
AG
Old 12-10-2005, 10:48 AM

Default Re: How Do You??????????

By taking all their money.

I don't understand your question. You've read both of Ed Miller's books and still think this game is unbeatable? I'd re-read GSIH. And hang out here. Respond to hands, post your own hands where you were uncertain of the play. Study the game, you will improve.
Old 12-10-2005, 11:08 AM

First thank you for replying. And ok, I will just take all their money lol

I know the game is unbeatable, I am just being beaten half the time by hands that shouldn't be played to start with, and I was wondering how one plays againest these off the wall hands that are coming at me on a regular bases?

I will take your advise and again I apprciate the help.
AG
Old 12-10-2005, 11:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]
First thank you for replying. And ok, I will just take all their money lol

I know the game is unbeatable, I am just being beaten half the time by hands that shouldn't be played to start with, and I was wondering how one plays againest these off the wall hands that are coming at me on a regular bases?

I will take your advise and again I apprciate the help.
AG

[/ QUOTE ]

The game is absolutely not unbeatable. You are wrong.
Old 12-10-2005, 11:19 AM

My bad, should have been "I know the game is beatable"
Old 12-10-2005, 11:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]
My bad, should have been "I know the game is beatable"

[/ QUOTE ]

That's better [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Just keep practicing, keep reading, and keep studying. You made a good move by coming here. Post a lot. Don't be afraid to post how you would play a hand just because you might be wrong. A lot of the times, you will be - but then someone corrects you and explains why, and you'll learn. 2+2 is very +EV [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 12-10-2005, 11:55 AM

Hi Al and welcome to the forums. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

I understand what you mean by being outdrawn at low stakes when a lot of players like to see the flop and beyond. I occassionally like to play at this level for fun myself, and often suffer the same fate.

I think the point is that you will be drawn out on more often than usually happens at higher stakes such as $.50 / $1.00 and above. However, when you do win a pot it will also usually be bigger in terms of number of bets won.

In other words, I think that the variance which you will experience at these very low stakes can be quite high. Nonetheless you should still end up an overall winner and probably have a higher big bet winning ratio than you would have at the higher stakes.

So, I would say not to worry too much about the variance at this level, because its a relatively inexpensive way to get some experience playing. Then when you feel comfortable you can move up to $.50 / $1.00 or higher.

Good luck, and posting here will definitely help you to improve your game. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 12-10-2005, 11:56 AM

Thanks again AMJ, I will follow your wisdom.
Look me up some time and will we play some hands, however you can only play low suited connectors or below out of postion. [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
AG
Old 12-10-2005, 12:07 PM

Fantam,
Thank you for replying. I guess I just have to write it off to the enviroment with which I am playing. And if I just keep learning and studying it will all work out as it should.
Thanks Again,
AG
Old 12-10-2005, 02:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
And if I just keep learning and studying it will all work out as it should.

[/ QUOTE ]

Indeed it will. As others have said you may not win as many pots as you'd like but the ones you do win will more then make up for the suckouts by some morron with 3 outs. Some simple ideas to help you.
DON'T BLUFF - at this level it hardly ever pays off and using it to "advertise" a weak style of play is also worthless cause your opponents aren't paying a bit of attention to how you play.
DON'T SLOWPLAY - These people will call any bets with any hands make them pay for it few of them pay enough attention to the board to try and put you on a hand. "Fish like to call I like to let them"
DON'T BET "for information" - Since most don't understand the game correctly it's hard to judge their actions.
ALLWAYS BET "for value on the river" - Take note of the fact that they will pay you off with anything. While the rule in higher stakes is don't bet a hand that will only be called by a stronger hand, these guys will pay you off with some really bad hands.
That should be enough to get you started and as the others said post here, reply here, live here, die here (OK so the die here part was a bit far but it rhymed and seemed like a good slogan). Work on developing strong postflop skills as that is where you will make money on these guys. There are a lot of good players (I am not one of them) here who are more then happy to help out (I am more then happy to help though). Take advantage of that and welcome to the forums.

Thomas