Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-14-2005, 05:56 PM

Default Learning Curve For A Transitioner

I've been a lurker to all the no limit forums here at 2+2 (MHNL, SSNL, STT, and MTT) for a number of months and have already learned quite a bit from all the intelligent posters who offer their excellent advice.

Background

Well, I'm a mid-stakes (4-8 tabling $55s) SNG player who's looking to make the transition to cash games. Like most posts I've seen when I did a search for a post already like this, I'm not asking for advice on how to make the switch. I'm pretty aware of the basic elements that change from a shortstack game to a medium/deep stack game. I've read a TON of posts from SSNL/MHNL archives, and read many of the posts everyday. I've read TOP, Ciaffone's book, and Harrington's books. Once in a while, I'll play some cash games and do decently well (by this I do NOT mean that I feel I make a good amount of money, but I think my play isn't so bad that I'm a decent winner). I do not have anywhere near a significant sample size for these and most definitely need a great deal of experience before I could beat these for the amount I'd like. I feel like the main thing I'm lacking from my game is just experience in a cash game environment.

All this is just to give you a background of my game as it will be crucial to my question.

My Goal

So this is what I want to do: I want to become primarily a shorthanded NL cash game player. I feel that the amount of learning I have at SNGs has slowed down considerably since I've first started playing (with such short stacks, decisions are often very easy). My goal is to be an all around good NL player and I think SNGs still have some to offer, but there's so much more to learn in deeper stacks that I think my learning time would be much better spent there.

The Dilemma

I'd tend to ask this question to a friend who knows how I play, but all my poker friends are primarily SNG players so they can't really offer the advice I'm looking for.

I don't want to spend forever learning the game while I could've used the same time winning money at SNGs. So, what kind of learning curve do you think, given a VERY general idea of my experience, would I be experiencing before I could push $30+/hour 4 tabling (this is a lower but acceptable hourly rate)? Would it be reasonable to be making this in a month or two? Less? More? By the way, bankroll is no issue for me.

As this post is already too long and I can't give you all the details of my life, just make any reasonable assumptions that would allow you to at least take a shot in the dark.

This question is very general, pretty much too general for someone who's never seen my game. But I'm hoping someone can give me some type of idea of what to expect, as I think at least a vague idea is better than the incorrect one I probably hold.

If the question is completely unanswerable, perhaps anyone who can share their cash game learning curve experience might be able to help shed enough light for me. Or if anyone is willing to talk for a few minutes in over some other medium (PM, AIM, etc.), it might help communicate more information. I'd greatly appreciate it.

Anything you guys can offer would be helpful. Thanks in advance.
Old 11-14-2005, 06:01 PM

Default Re: Learning Curve For A Transitioner

Given your SNG experience, the learning curve should not be too bad at all. I would say that $30 an hour within two months is definately reasonable.
Old 11-14-2005, 06:12 PM

Probably even faster since you already multitable really well. Play 2x tables of 50 or 100 NL 6max and just work on your hand reading skills and player identification. You can learn the best lines from 2p2 and experience, but short handed hand reading skills & identification are something you need to develop immediately if you want to play shorthanded.

After that bump it up to 4 tables, play 5-10k hands while reading and plugging minor leaks and then
Old 11-14-2005, 06:18 PM

If he's a winning $55 SnG player he has good shorthanded reading skills already - his problem will be lack of patience and overaggressiveness - when I first transitioned from SnG to Ring I would get up then lose my stack..
Old 11-14-2005, 06:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
short handed hand reading skills & identification are something you need to develop immediately if you want to play shorthanded.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is definitely where a ton of my learning will be coming from. There's no way to get around raw experience there.
Old 11-14-2005, 06:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If he's a winning $55 SnG player he has good shorthanded reading skills already - his problem will be lack of patience and overaggressiveness - when I first transitioned from SnG to Ring I would get up then lose my stack..

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, I don't think overaggressiveness will be so much a problem for me. Although I've played very minimally in cash games, I don't overvalue hands with bigger stacks like many transitioners may (mainly because I've read so much on these forums). Actually, I think when pots start getting really big, I start believing my opponents too much... but I believe this will be corrected given more experience so I know what hand ranges they do what with.
Old 11-14-2005, 06:35 PM

Buy pokertracker and PAHud if you dont have both already. Dont use PAhud until you are 4 tabling since youll just be biased instead of thinking each villians line through.
Old 11-14-2005, 06:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Buy pokertracker and PAHud if you dont have both already. Dont use PAhud until you are 4 tabling since youll just be biased instead of thinking each villians line through.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've been using PT to keep track of my SNGs, but I actually haven't bought PAHUD because of that exact reason. I'm scared I'd get too attached to a crutch.
Old 11-14-2005, 07:02 PM

yes it's far better to have less information on your opponents.. [img]/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]
why not get PAHUD AND keep your brain switched on..