Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-22-2004, 11:19 AM

Default How to play draws that hit on the Turn

Just looking for some advice about when to pop your opponent (mainly talking heads-up) with a raise when you hit your draw on the Turn.

Let's say you put him on a decent hand i.e., overpair, TPTK, or two baby pairs. You just call the flop bet(s) behind him and hit your draw on the Turn.

Case 1: You're in position and your opponent leads out. Do you raise here, or wait for the River?

Case 2: You're out of position. Do you go for a check-raise here, bet into him, or check-call waiting to play back on the River?

Advise for this play against both tight and loose players would be great.

By the way, I do realize that the sophistication of the player will largely dictate how this play is made, I'm just looking for a good general rule to use against unknown players online.
Old 06-22-2004, 11:32 AM

Default Re: How to play draws that hit on the Turn

jon, i think this is much a read dependent question.

against multiple players, i like to do my raising or c/r on the turn b/c they are much more likely to pay you off on the turn with one more card to come.

your question was maily about heads up though. I think you will just have to practice that assessment at the table. If you think your opponent will call your raise on the turn, i would definitely pop him then and there. if i had a strong feeling that he would fold to a raise, c/r, or me leading out on turn (if he had position on me), i would wait till river to get the raising in. You just have to go with your read to feel your way though the best way to maximimize the size of pot you take down.
Old 06-22-2004, 11:35 AM

Bet it when you make it.

In position raise.

Out of position, checkraise.
Old 06-22-2004, 11:49 AM

I actually got burned the other day by playing this the wrong way. I had 6500 to other players 3500. I made my straight on the turn, in position. There was a raise before the flop and I called a decent bet on the flop. He came out with a pot sized bet on the turn, and I reraised not quite putting him all in but close. He layed it down and ended up coming back to beat me [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

I think if i just called that turn bet, if he bet into me on the river I could have put him all in for sure.

Sorry I don't have the hand history, but generally I feel the more they have invested in a pot, the more likely they are to call aggressive betting because everyone is always afraid of a bluff, ESPECIALLY if you have a big chip lead...i mean, who likes to be bullied???

But as you said, it really depends on the player...maybe a worse players throws up his hands and calls my turn bet, but generally speaking, I think i misplayed it.
Old 06-22-2004, 04:28 PM

Good to learn something new (seriously).

This forum is intended for limit hold'em ring games from $2/$4 through about $6-$12. The poster was asking a limit hold'em question.